My Five-Day Visit to an Abbey Let Me Embrace Stillness and Silence
by Norman AllenDec 30, 2016
- I fear losing the stillness I gained. But I take comfort in knowing that the abbey is there, that the monks are singing the hours, and that there is silence in between.
As a Trump Administration Fast Approaches, Cities and Towns Gear Up for Political Resistance
by Sally NeasDec 29, 2016
- In the years to come, community bills of rights are one strategy to shelter vulnerable populations.
Call for Submissions: “Sanctuary Communities”
by YES! EditorsDec 29, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Jan. 25.
20 Photos: My Seven Months of Living at Standing Rock
by Desiree KaneDec 28, 2016
- The community we have built here has taught many how to live a large-scale sustainable, decolonized, anticapitalist lifestyle.
How Trump’s Extremism May Help Us Expose One of History’s Greatest Political Deceptions
by David KortenDec 28, 2016
- The Great Growth Con promises that economic growth—measured by gross domestic product—will benefit everyone, rich and poor alike.
New Year, New President, and Our Promise
by YES! EditorsDec 27, 2016
- We represent independent journalism. Even in the darkest times, you can depend on us to find the progressive solutions that will heal the planet and improve the lives of the many.
It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016
by Sarah van GelderDec 27, 2016
- The election divided the year into “before” and “after.” But there remain signs of hope for 2017.
From Growing Edible Forests to Banking Heirloom Seeds, Solutions to Keeping Your Food Local
by Erin Sagen and Araz HachadourianDec 26, 2016
- Three creative ways to strengthen local food economies.
Standing Rock Prepared Us for Trump’s Billionaires and Oil Giants
by Mark TrahantDec 26, 2016
- Continuing to shrink our oil consumption is one way to challenge the oil uber alles mentality of the Trump administration.
How Community Land Trusts Can Fix Detroit’s Foreclosure Mess
by Abigail Savitch-LewDec 23, 2016
- Nearly 1 in 6 properties across the city faced tax foreclosure last year. Land trusts are one way to keep buildings—whether housing or businesses—permanently affordable.
The Team Helping Human-Trafficking Survivors Find Justice—And Jobs
by Daniel RossDec 23, 2016
- The Thai Community Development Center has played a part in some of the most notorious human-trafficking cases in the United States. But unlike other groups, it also helps workers post-liberation.
7 Things the Defund DAPL Campaign Has Achieved So Far (Including $28 Million in Personal Accounts Moved)
by Ari PaulDec 22, 2016
- Public and consumer pressure on banks to quit financing the Dakota Access pipeline companies is producing results.
Arctic Waters Have Been Rescued From Drilling, But What About the Land?
by Brennan LagasseDec 22, 2016
- Time is running out for Obama to say no to Big Oil and permanently protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge—and the people who depend on it.
Why I Kneeled Before Standing Rock Elders and Asked For Forgiveness
by Sarah van GelderDec 21, 2016
- “We fought you. We took your land. We signed treaties that we broke … But we’ve come to say that we are sorry.”
How to Face a Trump Presidency: Resist, Reconnect, Renew
by Sarah van GelderDec 21, 2016
- We can’t count on Republicans or Democrats to save us. Instead, we are the ones to build the world we want, starting in our communities.
Most Recent Articles - YES!
YES! has a positive solution-oriented focus. We reframe issues, reflect diverse human-scale stories, and offer tools for people to use and to pass along. Here are our most recent articles and blogs.