The Page That Counts :: Summer 2002
Jun 30, 2002
- Number of hot dogs eaten annually at US major league baseball games, and more...
Book Review: Having Faith: An Ecologist's Journey To Motherhood by Sandra Steingraber
by Elise MillerJun 30, 2002
- Steingraber takes Rachel CarsonÕs Silent Spring a step further by turning her scientific gaze inward at the budding new life in her own womb.
Film Review - In the Light of the Sacred by Christopher McLeod and Malinda Maynor
by Timothy IistowanohpataakiiwaJun 30, 2002
Book Review - The Divine Right of Capital by Marjorie Kelly
by Jonathan RoweJun 30, 2002
Nonviolent Soldier of Islam: Badshah Khan, a Man To Match His Mountains
by Michael N. NaglerJun 30, 2002
- A review of the book about the world’s first nonviolent army, called by Abdul Ghaffar (Badshah) Khan, who had joined Gandhi to lead his fellow Muslims in the struggle against British colonialism.
The New Political Compass
by Paul RayJun 30, 2002
- While pundits and media remain oblivious, New Progressives are poised to forge a new American majority, whose numbers, clarity of vision, and passion could change the country’s direction
Walking the Hope
by Nancy Jack ToddJun 30, 2002
- Sally Linder created an Ark of Hope to contain a copy of the Earth Charter. She and her friends then carried the ark to the United Nations. article by Nancy Jack Todd.
Resource Guide: Art and Community
Jun 30, 2002
- Resource Guide for the Summer 2002 issue of YES! on Art and Community.
The Sound of Bombs Not Exploding
by Joanna MacyJun 30, 2002
- Peace Samadhi Day, March 15, 2002, was perhaps the largest meditation for peace in the history of the world.
Bridging Balkan Rapids
by Sonja KuftinecJun 30, 2002
- Of all the things a war-ravaged country needs, theater isn’t high on many lists. But in a Bosnian town, theater is re-forging links, re-membering a dismembered community, and helping youth play again.
New Staff at PFN
by Fran KortenJun 30, 2002
- YES! A Journal of Positive Futures, Fran Korten's column, New Staff
Going Forward Full Circle
by Connie KimJun 30, 2002
- The Full Circle Canoe Project was started in October 2001 to restore the lost craft of hand carving sea-worthy canoes.
A Wake Up Call
by Dr. A. T. AriyaratneJun 30, 2002
- In thinking of various ways of empowering our people, we think of social empowerment, economic empowerment, and technological empowerment. But we begin with spiritual empowerment. Today the Sarvodaya movement is education plus development plus nonviolent transformation of society.
Art and Community Discussion Guide
Jun 30, 2002
- Where does art fit in your life? Is it something you visit in a museum? Something you buy in a music store? Is art a mere luxury? Or can art change lives and communities, making life more livable by the act of creation?
Warm, Dry, And Noble
by Andrea DeanJun 30, 2002
- Samuel Mockbee founded Rural Studio, creating simple but inventive structures made of inexpensive, mostly salvaged or donated materials.
Most Recent Articles - YES!
YES! has a positive solution-oriented focus. We reframe issues, reflect diverse human-scale stories, and offer tools for people to use and to pass along. Here are our most recent articles and blogs.