Seeking a Development Manager
Are you passionate about changing the world? About sustainability and justice? About helping people see the path to a better world?
Consider joining the YES! Magazine team as our Development Manager and help us grow. The position is full-time and requires work most days at the Bainbridge Island offices of YES! Magazine (a short walk from the Seattle-Bainbridge ferry terminal).
YES! is an award-winning, non-profit, media organization. We fuse powerful ideas with practical actions to support people’s active engagement in creating a more just, sustainable and compassionate world. YES! Magazine reaches over 180,000 readers each quarter, and our website draws more than 240,000 visits each month.
You will be part of an exciting period of expansion at YES! as a growing portion of the public recognizes that big changes are needed to meet today’s challenges and look for answers from YES!. We have a distinguished board, a dedicated staff of 21, plus six interns and many volunteers. You’ll find our office culture combines professionalism and hard work with lots of laughter and fun. Our annual budget of $1.7 million is derived from magazine and book sales, foundation grants, and individual donors.
Development Manager Job Description
As Development Manager you report directly to the Executive Director. You lead the development team, which includes the Executive Director and the Development Coordinator. You work with the Executive Director to maintain and recruit higher-level donors and foundations. And you oversee the Development Coordinator, who recruits and maintains lower-level donors.
Your key responsibilities include:
• Develop the development team’s strategy and annual plans
• Keep existing higher-level donors well informed of our organization’s work and recruit new higher-level donors
• Build YES! Magazine’s presence in Seattle and Bainbridge and other selected locations through large and small fundraising events
• Maintain and expand foundation grant support
• Engage and inform the board of directors regarding fundraising activities
• Assist the Development Coordinator in recruiting and maintaining lower-level donors through email and snail mail appeals.
Your specific tasks include:
• Run strategy and task-management meetings of the Development Team
• Organize our annual fundraising event at Seattle’s Town Hall
• Organize other fundraising events on Bainbridge and a few selected cities
• Write foundation proposals and reports
• Write and coordinate email appeals
• Call and visit higher-level donors
• Develop and implement our Legacy Community mailings and informational materials
• Work with technical team on donation-related information on our website and in our database
• Send out the Executive Director’s quarterly letter to all higher-level donors
• Organize thank yous for all higher level donors
• Supervise Development Coordinator, who is responsible for two annual snail mail appeals a year, thank yous for all lower-level donors, and help coordinate activities with Audience Development & fulfillment teams.
• Passion for the YES! mission
• Good judgment on strategic choices
• Ability to communicate clearly and compellingly in person and in writing with donors and foundations
• Skills in event planning and coordination
• Comfort in asking for money
• Interest in and ability to relate to others
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Some knowledge of layout design
• Ability to analyze, organize and interpret data
• Experience in using databases and Excel
Your Work Experience:
Experience working with teams in an organization.
Preferred experience: Several years with a nonprofit organization
FTE salary is mid to high $30’s. Excellent medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance. Generous vacation plus 10 paid holidays. Retirement plan. Reimbursement for public transportation to the office.
How you can apply
Just email a cover letter and resume to: DevelopmentManager@yesmagazine.org. Attach a writing sample of any kind.
Applications will be accepted until March 14.