The creative spirit, and how it moves us.
Photos from YES! Magazine's 2nd Annual Celebration of People Power
posted Jun 08, 2012
- On Wednesday, Alice Walker, Frances Moore Lappé, Makana, and Puanani Burgess joined hundreds of YES! readers in Seattle to celebrate our power to build the world we want. Here are a few photos from that incredible evening.
Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth
posted Jun 04, 2012
- How the poet, activist, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author has changed the world with her words.
You Can’t Ban History
posted May 31, 2012
- An artist's response to Arizona's ban on ethnic studies.
Pete Seeger: Forever Young
posted May 16, 2012
- You’re never too old to change the world.
Yes, the Climate is Changing
posted May 10, 2012
- Video: People around the world show how climate change is already affecting their lives.
“You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day”
by Rasha Hamidposted May 07, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Rasha Hamid pondered that question, and wrote this poem to her son Jibreel.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
posted May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
Be All You Can Be ... In the Guitarmy
posted May 03, 2012
- Video: Thousands of protesters in New York City sing, “This Land Is Your Land.”
Words That Inspire: You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day
posted May 02, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Use Rasha Hamid's words to start a discussion with your students about what this tragedy means.
YES! Music Picks: Summer 2012
posted May 01, 2012
- Musical inspiration while putting together the Summer 2012 issue.
Quote: Maya Angelou
posted May 01, 2012
- A quote from Maya Angelou, from Making It Home, the Summer 2012 issue of YES! Magazine. Download it here.
A Patchwork Guide to the (Disappearing) Neighborhood
by Kathryn Clarkposted Apr 24, 2012
- How have foreclosures transformed the layouts of Detroit, Las Vegas, and other cities? Artist Kathryn Clark’s mapped it—in quilts.
A Slumber Party on Wall Street
posted Apr 19, 2012
- Video: Occupiers are once again camping in protest, this time outside the New York Stock Exchange.
Israelis and Iranians Feel the Love
posted Apr 11, 2012
- As their leaders talk violence, some residents of Israel and Iran are reaching out to each other directly with a promise of peace.
What We Owe Adrienne Rich
by Madeline Ostranderposted Mar 30, 2012
- The late poet was a patriot who wrestled for the soul of her country.