What a Wonderful World, from David Attenborough
Dec 24, 2012
- A beautiful short film that will remind you it is, indeed, a wonderful world.
Animal Odd Couples
Dec 21, 2012
- Are animals capable of feeling emotions? PBS Nature shares evidence that humans are not the only ones on the planet who cares, loves, and empathizes. Meet five animal odd couples.
Writing Love Letters to Hundreds of Strangers “Absolutely Healed Me”
Dec 18, 2012
- To cope with intense loneliness after moving to New York City, Hannah Brencher offered to write an old-fashioned love letter to any stranger who needed one. She never guessed how many people she would ultimately reach.
20 Machines for a DIY Civilization
Dec 06, 2012
- Video: Open Source Ecology has released free plans for building tractors, brick compressors, and other essential machines. Why pay more for stuff that's designed to fall apart?
Cartoon: Hank D and the Bee: Unexpected Weather
by Joe MohrDec 05, 2012
“Africa for Norway” Global Aid Spoof Goes Viral
by Ayla HarbinNov 30, 2012
- “There’s heat enough for Norway, if Africans would share,” quips this parody of overblown charity fundraisers that’s blowing up the Web. The purpose? To swap stereotypes for real needs.
Stacy Mitchell: We Can’t Shop Our Way to a Better Economy
Nov 29, 2012
- Buying local isn’t enough. If we’re going to get our economy back on track, we have to re-center on communities.
by Joe MohrNov 27, 2012
- Comics with an environmental edge.
Book Review: “A is for Activist” by Innosanto Nagara
by Corey HillNov 14, 2012
- From Activist to Zapatista, this “children’s book for the 99 percent” infuses the alphabet with the energy and consciousness of Occupy Wall Street.
Music Picks: Winter 2013
Nov 01, 2012
- Anna Ternheim, Jerry Jeff Walker, and other inspiration while putting together the Winter 2013 issue.
Rapper 2 Chainz: Ex-Felons Can Get Their Voting Rights Back
Oct 31, 2012
- One the biggest voting myths is that those with felonies on their record have lost the right to vote forever. Here’s how you can get re-enfranchised.
The City is Our Canvas: A Bay Area Tour, in Murals
Oct 24, 2012
- From the alleys of San Francisco to the streets of West Oakland, murals are cropping up throughout the Bay Area with themes as diverse as the artists who paint them.
Photo Essay: Israelis and Palestinians Join Up to Rebuild Homes
by Ben GussOct 18, 2012
- Volunteers from both the Jewish and Arab sides of the conflict join forces to rebuild homes demolished by the Israeli government.
Photo Essay: Portraits of Americans at Work
by Caleb FergusonOct 12, 2012
- Photographer Caleb Ferguson goes cross-country to document the diversity of the American workforce.
The Power of Introverts
Oct 12, 2012
- Does society favor extroverts over introverts? In this TEDTalk, social psychologist Susan Cain takes us into an introvert's world, and shares why being quiet and contemplative should be acknowledged and celebrated.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.