A Pastor, a Rabbi, and an Imam Walk Into a Book ...
by Jenn CarretoJul 04, 2012
- In "Religion Gone Astray," three leaders—and friends—from different religions take on violence, exclusivity, gender inequality, and homophobia in some of their scriptures' most controversial verses. What they discovered surprised them.
The Achilles' Heel of the American Dream
by Sean BurnsJun 28, 2012
- Book Review: “Hillbilly Nationalists, Urban Race Rebels, and Black Power” profiles the radical, working-class movements of the '60s and '70s—a guide for transformation today.
One Day On Earth
Jun 15, 2012
- What does a given moment look like on the other side of the globe? A new documentary captures a single day in every country on Earth.
Photos from YES! Magazine's 2nd Annual Celebration of People Power
Jun 08, 2012
- On Wednesday, Alice Walker, Frances Moore Lappé, Makana, and Puanani Burgess joined hundreds of YES! readers in Seattle to celebrate our power to build the world we want. Here are a few photos from that incredible evening.
Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth
Jun 04, 2012
- How the poet, activist, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author has changed the world with her words.
You Can’t Ban History
May 31, 2012
- An artist's response to Arizona's ban on ethnic studies.
Pete Seeger: Forever Young
May 16, 2012
- You’re never too old to change the world.
Yes, the Climate is Changing
May 10, 2012
- Video: People around the world show how climate change is already affecting their lives.
“You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day”
by Rasha HamidMay 07, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Rasha Hamid pondered that question, and wrote this poem to her son Jibreel.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
Be All You Can Be ... In the Guitarmy
May 03, 2012
- Video: Thousands of protesters in New York City sing, “This Land Is Your Land.”
Words That Inspire: You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day
by Jing FongMay 02, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Use Rasha Hamid's words to start a discussion with your students about what this tragedy means.
YES! Music Picks: Summer 2012
May 01, 2012
- Musical inspiration while putting together the Summer 2012 issue.
Quote: Maya Angelou
May 01, 2012
- A quote from Maya Angelou, from Making It Home, the Summer 2012 issue of YES! Magazine. Download it here.
A Patchwork Guide to the (Disappearing) Neighborhood
by Kathryn ClarkApr 24, 2012
- How have foreclosures transformed the layouts of Detroit, Las Vegas, and other cities? Artist Kathryn Clark’s mapped it—in quilts.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.