Stacy Mitchell: We Can’t Shop Our Way to a Better Economy
Nov 29, 2012
- Buying local isn’t enough. If we’re going to get our economy back on track, we have to re-center on communities.
by Joe MohrNov 27, 2012
- Comics with an environmental edge.
Book Review: “A is for Activist” by Innosanto Nagara
by Corey HillNov 14, 2012
- From Activist to Zapatista, this “children’s book for the 99 percent” infuses the alphabet with the energy and consciousness of Occupy Wall Street.
Music Picks: Winter 2013
Nov 01, 2012
- Anna Ternheim, Jerry Jeff Walker, and other inspiration while putting together the Winter 2013 issue.
Rapper 2 Chainz: Ex-Felons Can Get Their Voting Rights Back
Oct 31, 2012
- One the biggest voting myths is that those with felonies on their record have lost the right to vote forever. Here’s how you can get re-enfranchised.
The City is Our Canvas: A Bay Area Tour, in Murals
Oct 24, 2012
- From the alleys of San Francisco to the streets of West Oakland, murals are cropping up throughout the Bay Area with themes as diverse as the artists who paint them.
Photo Essay: Israelis and Palestinians Join Up to Rebuild Homes
by Ben GussOct 18, 2012
- Volunteers from both the Jewish and Arab sides of the conflict join forces to rebuild homes demolished by the Israeli government.
Photo Essay: Portraits of Americans at Work
by Caleb FergusonOct 12, 2012
- Photographer Caleb Ferguson goes cross-country to document the diversity of the American workforce.
The Power of Introverts
Oct 12, 2012
- Does society favor extroverts over introverts? In this TEDTalk, social psychologist Susan Cain takes us into an introvert's world, and shares why being quiet and contemplative should be acknowledged and celebrated.
Gar Alperovitz on Cooperative Economy: “I’ll Bet My Life on It”
Oct 04, 2012
- Gar Alperovitz was in Seattle for the annual meeting of the National Cooperative Business Association and spoke at Town Hall Seattle immediately following a live screening of the first presidential debate. YES! Magazine’s executive editor Sarah van Gelder introduced him.
Cartoon: Naughty Children, Then and Now
by Joe MohrSep 27, 2012
Libyan People to Americans: “This Is Not the Behavior of Our Islam”
Sep 13, 2012
- Photo Essay: Amid the noise of escalating violence, Benghazi citizens speak for themselves: “This does not represent us.”
Yard Work Unplugged: Scything’s Quiet Comeback
by Doug PibelSep 07, 2012
- Photo Essay: Cut the grass—and the noise—with this rare opportunity to see YES! staffers work up a sweat!
YES! Music Picks: Fall 2012
Aug 01, 2012
- Musical inspiration while putting out the Fall 2012 issue.
Quote: Eduardo Galeano
Aug 01, 2012
- A quote from Eduardo Galeano, from It's Your Body, the Fall 2012 issue of YES! Magazine. Download it here.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.