“Wild” Could Have Been a Standard Hollywood Weeper. Here’s How Reese Witherspoon Saved It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 19, 2014
- To call “Wild” a redemption film is to minimize the wide range of emotions it works with—not to mention the subtlety of Reese Witherspoon’s performance.
Video: This Philly Beauty Salon and Rehab Clinic Helps People Heal—With a Little Magical Realism
by YES! EditorsDec 19, 2014
- A new documentary, "Hollywood Beauty Salon," lets people who struggle with mental illness and addiction tell their own stories in unexpected ways.
Ridley Scott's Weak Defense of "Exodus" Casting Will Help You Understand Why Hollywood's So White
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 12, 2014
- All the main characters are played by white people. It doesn't really have to be that way.
Everything You Need to Know About the Radical Roots of Wonder Woman
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 10, 2014
- Her enigmatic creator believed women were destined to rule the world. 10 facts about the iconic heroine.
Video: Remembering Nelson Mandela and His Reconciliation Process—Which Is Needed Now More Than Ever
by Kayla SchultzDec 05, 2014
- A singing flash mob honors the passing of Nelson Mandela, who died one year ago this week and helped establish South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation process after apartheid.
The Radical Homemaker’s Reading List: 8 Books for Happier Families, Healthier Guts, and Saner Lives
by Shannon HayesDec 04, 2014
- A short list of books that have kept discovery alive and well in 2014 at Sap Bush Hollow farm.
Video: Instead of Paying Our Kids to Do Their Homework, Let’s Teach Them Gratitude
by Kayla SchultzOct 31, 2014
- At this pay-it-forward restaurant, everyone's meal is paid for by previous guests—out of generosity. Karma Kitchen's founder on how kindness became contagious
Before the Zombie Apocalypse—These 4 Trade Deals Were Ravaging the World!
by James Trimarco, Marc J. PalmOct 29, 2014
- Forget ghouls and goblins. From deregulating Wall Street to shredding environmental and labor protections—these policy monsters are way scarier.
Matt Damon, Harrison Ford Lead All-Star Cast in Showtime Climate Change Series
by Dana DrugmandOct 27, 2014
- Years of Living Dangerously features celebrity correspondents who thoughtfully explore how politics and religion divide people and impede action on this critical issue.
Own the Change: Building Economic Democracy One Worker Co-op at a Time
Oct 24, 2014
- Take a sneak peek at “Own the Change,” a new documentary about worker-owned cooperatives.
Why You Need to Know About a Gross Thing Called #GamerGate—And the Women Who Fight It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeOct 22, 2014
- We can learn a lot about the future of culture wars from a “movement” of video game players angry about efforts to make gaming more welcoming for women.
Video: Last Native Speaker Records Wukchumni Language
by Kayla SchultzOct 17, 2014
- If your language was on the brink of extinction, what would you do? The last speaker of Wukchumni created a makeshift dictionary out of scraps of paper.
Photo Essay: From Field to Fork at an Ethical Farm
by Kayla Schultz, Paul DunnOct 16, 2014
- See how Heyday Farm raises healthy animals in an environmentally and economically sustainable way.
Video: Why Waste Coffee Grounds When Delicious Mushrooms Love to Grow on Them?
Oct 10, 2014
- See how an urban farm in the United Kingdom is recycling coffee waste to grow gourmet mushrooms.
Video: A Bear and Fox Show Why Empathy Brings Us Closer than Sympathy
Oct 03, 2014
- Empathy involves a deeper connection than sympathy does, and often means sharing a bit of emotional vulnerability.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.