“We've Known What Police Brutality Feels Like”: Pussy Riot’s Tribute Song to Eric Garner
by Christopher Zumski FinkeFeb 20, 2015
- In a new music video, two members from Russian punk band Pussy Riot get dirt shoveled over their faces and are buried alive. It's powerful and disturbing to watch.
“Selma”: A Beautifully Shot Film Shows How Change Really Happens
by Kate AronoffJan 17, 2015
- Neither a “great man” history of Martin Luther King Jr., nor a tale of forgotten underdogs, Selma is about skilled activists building a movement.
A Baltimore Public School Teacher Explains Why It Pays to Put Kids in Control
by Andy Lee RothJan 16, 2015
- What do Shakespeare’s plays tell us about how to run classrooms in an unequal society?
Creeped Out by "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? Try This Feminist Version
Dec 24, 2014
- In the original song, she wants to go home, he says no, and then he spikes her drink. Blogger Dara Laine replaces the uncomfortable Christmas refrain with the female-friendly "Baby, It's Consent Inside."
Book Review: After Landing Herself in ICU, This Woman Changed Her Lifestyle, and Built a Tiny House
by Abby QuillenDec 24, 2014
- In building her tiny house, the author built a simpler and happier life.
When Christmas Dinner Gets Uncomfortably Political, These Cues From “House of Cards” and Other Shows Can Help You Out
by Kate AronoffDec 22, 2014
- This year’s most popular movies and TV series can be a tool to work your way out of a particularly bad conversation.
“Wild” Could Have Been a Standard Hollywood Weeper. Here’s How Reese Witherspoon Saved It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 19, 2014
- To call “Wild” a redemption film is to minimize the wide range of emotions it works with—not to mention the subtlety of Reese Witherspoon’s performance.
Video: This Philly Beauty Salon and Rehab Clinic Helps People Heal—With a Little Magical Realism
by YES! EditorsDec 19, 2014
- A new documentary, "Hollywood Beauty Salon," lets people who struggle with mental illness and addiction tell their own stories in unexpected ways.
Ridley Scott's Weak Defense of "Exodus" Casting Will Help You Understand Why Hollywood's So White
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 12, 2014
- All the main characters are played by white people. It doesn't really have to be that way.
Everything You Need to Know About the Radical Roots of Wonder Woman
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 10, 2014
- Her enigmatic creator believed women were destined to rule the world. 10 facts about the iconic heroine.
Video: Remembering Nelson Mandela and His Reconciliation Process—Which Is Needed Now More Than Ever
by Kayla SchultzDec 05, 2014
- A singing flash mob honors the passing of Nelson Mandela, who helped establish South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation process after apartheid.
The Radical Homemaker’s Reading List: 8 Books for Happier Families, Healthier Guts, and Saner Lives
by Shannon HayesDec 04, 2014
- A short list of books that have kept discovery alive and well in 2014 at Sap Bush Hollow farm.
Video: Instead of Paying Our Kids to Do Their Homework, Let’s Teach Them Gratitude
by Kayla SchultzOct 31, 2014
- At this pay-it-forward restaurant, everyone's meal is paid for by previous guests—out of generosity. Karma Kitchen's founder on how kindness became contagious
Before the Zombie Apocalypse—These 4 Trade Deals Were Ravaging the World!
by YES! StaffOct 29, 2014
- Forget ghouls and goblins. From deregulating Wall Street to shredding environmental and labor protections—these policy monsters are way scarier.
Matt Damon, Harrison Ford Lead All-Star Cast in Showtime Climate Change Series
by Dana DrugmandOct 27, 2014
- Years of Living Dangerously features celebrity correspondents who thoughtfully explore how politics and religion divide people and impede action on this critical issue.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.