Life in Iran :: Photo Essay
by Arash ShivaMay 09, 2008
- Arash Shiva’s beautiful photographs of daily life in Iran, taken in Fall 2007.
Peace Corps in Paraguay :: Photo Essay
by Justin Mog, Amanda FullerMay 09, 2008
- Peace Corps volunteers Justin Mog and Amanda Fuller were dispatched to an impoverished community in rural Paraguay, where they launched a seed bank, which loans tree, vegetable, and alternative crop seeds.
The First Rural Women Heroes of Tombouctou
May 07, 2008
- If a village in Tombouctou can be solar electrified against such tremendous odds adopting a Barefoot approach, then it is possible to replicate this process anywhere.
Split This Rock Poetry Festival
May 02, 2008
- Hundreds of poets from all over the country gathered in front of the White House on Sunday, March 23, 2008, for Split This Rock Poetry Festival. Together, the poets created a spontaneous group poem, a Cento, for peace and new priorities…
Mirrors of Privilege: Making Whiteness Visible
by Shakti ButlerApr 30, 2008
- This documentary features the experiences of white women and men who have worked to gain insight into what it means to challenge notions of racism and white supremacy in the United States.
The Shift :: Trailer
Apr 30, 2008
- Millions of people around the world are waking up and embracing a new outlook with an emphasis on their responsibility to contribute positively to our collective future. We are in the middle of the biggest social transformation in history: The Shift…
Blue Covenant: Maude Barlow on the Global Movement for Water Justice
by Maude BarlowApr 30, 2008
- Listen to Maude Barlow's interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!
Audio: Swim Against the Current
by Jim HightowerApr 30, 2008
- Listen to Jim Hightower read an excerpt of Chapter 14 of his book Swim Against the Current.
by Jehane NoujaimApr 29, 2008
- View the trailer for Jehane Noujaim's award-winning documentary, Control Room, which examines media coverage of the Iraq War.
Chris Jordan :: Running the Numbers
by Chris JordanApr 14, 2008
- Dazzling images make the statistics that describe the huge waste streams of our consumer culture visible. This photo essay shows recent works of Chris Jordan from his Running the Numbers and Intolerable Beauty series.
Mar 26, 2008
- "You should have seen the one that got away." Caption submitted by Kent McCullough.
Why Positive Journalism Matters
by Sarah van GelderMar 26, 2008
- Listen to Sarah van Gelder's interview by Chris Vondrasek on KBCS' One World Report: "It is part of our journalistic task—to pay attention to where there is news of successful change."
Jon Warnow :: Brower Youth Awards
Mar 10, 2008
- Listen to Jon's energetic acceptance speech as he invites all of us to “step outside our comfort zones” and remake our world.
Feb 22, 2008
- "I've tried everything and my footprint is still a size 10..." Caption submitted by Wanda Rockwell.
The First Women Barefoot Solar Engineers of the Gambia
Feb 14, 2008
- See the solar installation in process, start to finish: follow two rural illiterate women from The Gambia who learn how to become Barefoot Solar Engineers.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.