In Review :: Toxic Exposures
by Steve HeiligMay 22, 2008
- Steve Heilig reviews Phil Brown's book on contested illnesses and the environmental movement.
Oregon’s Progressive Ideas Get on the Bus
May 22, 2008
- Jim Hightower celebrates the Oregon Bus Project, an example of grassroots activism on the road, in this extract from his Swim Against the Current: Even Dead Fish Can Go with the Flow.
In Review :: From Raising Hell to Raising Barns
by Jonathan RoweMay 22, 2008
- Jonathan Rowe reviews Jim Hightower's new book. Also find an excerpt of the book and listen to Jim Hightower read a chapter.
Aidan Delgado, Conscientious Objector
May 22, 2008
- The Sutras of Abu Ghraib is the story of Aidan Delgado’s journey towards conscientious objector status. This excerpt is a meditation on how easy it is to distance ourselves from the devastation of war-making.
Ivory-Billed Woodpecker :: An Avian Diplomat
May 19, 2008
- Partners in Flight. Formed in 1990, Partners is a loose collaboration stitched together by the habits of birds, which can travel from as far north as Canada to wintering grounds in places like Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, and Venezuela. Extraordinary connections have formed among biologists, NGOs, and governments in these countries.
Derrick Ashong :: Sweet Mother Tour
May 19, 2008
- Derrick Ashong, The 32-year-old Hip Hop musician, along with fellow members of the band Soulfège, founded the pop music and multimedia phenomenon Sweet Mother Tour, which has brought positive music, videos, and stories about Africa to 146 million viewers.
Life in Iran :: Photo Essay
by Arash ShivaMay 09, 2008
- Arash Shiva’s beautiful photographs of daily life in Iran, taken in Fall 2007.
Peace Corps in Paraguay :: Photo Essay
by Justin Mog, Amanda FullerMay 09, 2008
- Peace Corps volunteers Justin Mog and Amanda Fuller were dispatched to an impoverished community in rural Paraguay, where they launched a seed bank, which loans tree, vegetable, and alternative crop seeds.
The First Rural Women Heroes of Tombouctou
May 07, 2008
- If a village in Tombouctou can be solar electrified against such tremendous odds adopting a Barefoot approach, then it is possible to replicate this process anywhere.
Split This Rock Poetry Festival
May 02, 2008
- Hundreds of poets from all over the country gathered in front of the White House on Sunday, March 23, 2008, for Split This Rock Poetry Festival. Together, the poets created a spontaneous group poem, a Cento, for peace and new priorities…
Mirrors of Privilege: Making Whiteness Visible
by Shakti ButlerApr 30, 2008
- This documentary features the experiences of white women and men who have worked to gain insight into what it means to challenge notions of racism and white supremacy in the United States.
The Shift :: Trailer
Apr 30, 2008
- Millions of people around the world are waking up and embracing a new outlook with an emphasis on their responsibility to contribute positively to our collective future. We are in the middle of the biggest social transformation in history: The Shift…
Blue Covenant: Maude Barlow on the Global Movement for Water Justice
by Maude BarlowApr 30, 2008
- Listen to Maude Barlow's interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!
Audio: Swim Against the Current
by Jim HightowerApr 30, 2008
- Listen to Jim Hightower read an excerpt of Chapter 14 of his book Swim Against the Current.
by Jehane NoujaimApr 29, 2008
- View the trailer for Jehane Noujaim's award-winning documentary, Control Room, which examines media coverage of the Iraq War.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.