DIY Liberation: About the Cover
by BanksyNov 07, 2007
- Our Winter 2008 cover is based on graffiti artist Banksy's famous Balloon Girl.
MySpace Music Revolution
by Glenn PeoplesNov 07, 2007
- Everyone from aspiring hopefuls to superstars uses MySpace pages to connect with fans. It is becoming a technological equalizer.
Don't Fall in Love with the Guitarist. Be the Guitarist!
by Lisa BolyosNov 07, 2007
- All over the world, ladiezzz are celebrating, holding workshops and making music around the vague issue of being queer—by their own definitions.
Hot for Burning Man
by Charles ShawNov 07, 2007
- From the far-flung parts of the globe, Burners come to give expression to possibilities for the human race in unregulated space.
Zen, Busking and Anarchy
by Parke BurgessNov 07, 2007
- Playing music on the street resonates mightily with the subversive tone of Zen anarchism. It calls us to feel what we feel, to express what we are, and to be real.
Pete Seeger: The Power of Song
by Jim BrownNov 07, 2007
- Jim Brown's new documentary Pete Seeger: The Power of Song, summarizes the 80-year career of America's preeminent folk-singer.
Interview with Victoria Tauli-Corpuz
by Sarah van GelderOct 29, 2007
- An historic event happened on September 13, 2007. The United Nations, after nearly 25 years of work, adopted the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Burning Man Photo Essay
by Catherine BaileyOct 02, 2007
- A photo essay by Catherine Bailey from Burning Man: the annual art event based on radical self expression and self-reliance in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
Emma Goldman Finishing School Photo Essay
Oct 01, 2007
- A photo essay of life at the Emma Goldman Finishing School, a social justice commune in Seattle.
Fast Food Cartoon
Sep 26, 2007
- "May I see your carbon neutral certificate please?" Caption submitted by Ron Rorgers.
by W.S MerwinSep 18, 2007
- Thanks, by W.S Merwin. Poem from the collection The Rain in the Trees
In Review :: Personal Safety Nets
by Lisa FarinoSep 17, 2007
- Book review: Personal Safety Nets: Getting Ready for Life's Inevitable Changes & Challenges by John W. Gibson and Judy Pigott.
Photo Essay: The First USSF in Atlanta, Ga.
Aug 14, 2007
Man in a Can Cartoon
Aug 14, 2007
- "I've been a grouch since Bush took the White House." Caption submitted by Dan Brook.
Seeing Another World: U.S. Social Forum 2008
Aug 14, 2007
- Instead of drawing crowds with superstar speakers and performers, the participants of the 2008 U.S. Social Forum were the stars. Those who are accustomed to being excluded were at the center, and those who were used to being silenced were heard.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.