Notes from Underground
Jun 21, 2006
- Reviews of Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World, Global Class War, Healthy Money, Healthy Planet, Home Enlightenment and Independent America.
Men, War, and Families
by Robert F. Johnson, Gordon MustainJun 05, 2006
- Two poems by veterans who recall the effect of military combat on their own lives.
Book Review: Every Day is a Good Day by Wilma Mankiller
by Lilja OttoApr 18, 2006
- Provides insights into the lives and ideas of indigenous women and invites readers to re-examine their own cultural and spiritual backgrounds.
Buster Simpson: Art in Service to
by Dee AxelrodFeb 22, 2006
- Buster Simposon makes sculptures that enhance and explain rather than merely decorate the landscape.
Radically Righteous Babe
by Dee AxelrodSep 08, 2005
- There are artists whose work is ceative and then there are artists so charged with creative power that it's impossible to find the seam between the art and the life. Ani Di Franco fits in the latter category.
The Folk Rock On: Utah Phillips
by Utah Phillips, Dee AxelrodSep 02, 2005
Book Review: No More Throw-away People by Edgar Cahn
by David BollierApr 26, 2005
- No More Throwaway People is a provocative analysis of the non-market economy and an inspiration for the social service community.
Book Review: The Boiling Point by Ross Gelbspan
by K C GoldenApr 26, 2005
- The science of global warming, and the dream of the "World Energy Modernization Plan" are two issues covered in the book
Film Review: The Take and Argentina: Hope in Hard Times
by Lisa Gale GarriguesApr 18, 2005
- Lisa Gale Garrigues reviews two films about Argentina during the economic crisis of 2002. Both films offer lessons in what ordinary people can do.
Media Hero: Juan Gonzalez
by Anthony LappeApr 13, 2005
- New York Daily News reporter and Democracy Now! co-host, and president of National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
by Darrin BurgessApr 12, 2005
- Darrin Burgess reviews "Hope Dies Last" and "The Impossible Will Take a Little While"
If You’re Not Making Television, It’s Making You
by Dirk KoningMar 16, 2005
- Kids learn to make media at GRTV. They make websites, and develop and deliver curriculum on media literacey and voting.
Dipping a Toe Into the Blogosphere
by Micah SifryFeb 21, 2005
- Writing your own blog is easy.
Rehearsing with Gods
by Marc Estrin, Ronald T. SimonJan 21, 2005
- Since the 1960s, Bread & Puppet Theater has come to life in urban street protests and remote farmlands, awakening in audiences a sense of wonder, solidarity, and a recollection of life’s essentials.
The Fragrance of Faith: the Enlightened Heart of Islam by Jamal Rahman
by Rabbi Ted FalconJan 19, 2005
- A book as important as Jamal Rahman's The Fragrance of Faith needs to be recommended with as much grace as possible for it contains precious reminders that the spiritual teachings of Islam are as filled with compassion as they can be.
The creative spirit, and how it moves us.