Oregon’s Progressive Ideas Get on the Bus
May 22, 2008
- Jim Hightower celebrates the Oregon Bus Project, an example of grassroots activism on the road, in this extract from his Swim Against the Current: Even Dead Fish Can Go with the Flow.
In Review :: From Raising Hell to Raising Barns
by Jonathan RoweMay 22, 2008
- Jonathan Rowe reviews Jim Hightower's new book. Also find an excerpt of the book and listen to Jim Hightower read a chapter.
Aidan Delgado, Conscientious Objector
May 22, 2008
- The Sutras of Abu Ghraib is the story of Aidan Delgado’s journey towards conscientious objector status. This excerpt is a meditation on how easy it is to distance ourselves from the devastation of war-making.
In Review :: Personal Safety Nets
by Lisa FarinoSep 17, 2007
- Book review: Personal Safety Nets: Getting Ready for Life's Inevitable Changes & Challenges by John W. Gibson and Judy Pigott.
In Review :: Conversations over the Line
Nov 30, 2006
- Reviews of bell hooks and Amalia Mesa-Bains' Homegrown: Engaged Cultural Criticism, Jill Bamburg's Getting to Scale, Peacemaking Circles: From Crime to Community by Kay Pranis, Barry Stuart and Mark Wedge, and the film The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil, directed by Faith Morgan.
Notes from Underground
Jun 21, 2006
- Reviews of Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World, Global Class War, Healthy Money, Healthy Planet, Home Enlightenment and Independent America.
Book Review: Every Day is a Good Day by Wilma Mankiller
by Lilja OttoApr 18, 2006
- Provides insights into the lives and ideas of indigenous women and invites readers to re-examine their own cultural and spiritual backgrounds.
Book Review: No More Throw-away People by Edgar Cahn
by David BollierApr 26, 2005
- No More Throwaway People is a provocative analysis of the non-market economy and an inspiration for the social service community.
Book Review: The Boiling Point by Ross Gelbspan
by K C GoldenApr 26, 2005
- The science of global warming, and the dream of the "World Energy Modernization Plan" are two issues covered in the book
by Darrin BurgessApr 12, 2005
- Darrin Burgess reviews "Hope Dies Last" and "The Impossible Will Take a Little While"
The Fragrance of Faith: the Enlightened Heart of Islam by Jamal Rahman
by Rabbi Ted FalconJan 19, 2005
- A book as important as Jamal Rahman's The Fragrance of Faith needs to be recommended with as much grace as possible for it contains precious reminders that the spiritual teachings of Islam are as filled with compassion as they can be.
Book Review - In Praise of Slowness: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed
by Ellie WinninghoffAug 20, 2004
- This book by Carl Honore explores our infatuation with speed, and speed's impact on community, relationships,fear, and more.
COMPASSIONATE LISTENING and Other Writings
by Gene Knudsen HoffmanAug 20, 2004
- A book about re-establishing relationships among those in conflict as a form of reconciliation.
In Review :: After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order
by David KortenAug 20, 2004
- Is the American empire waning? David Korten reviews a book by French demographer Emmanuel Todd.
Book Review - With All Our Strength: the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
by Negin AlmassiJul 18, 2004
Reading list for a better world.