Getting a Grip 2
by Frances Moore LappeMay 13, 2010
- Frances Moore Lappé speaks about her new book to a group of YES! Magazine staff and friends at the home of David and Fran Korten, April 2010.
Welcome to Eaarth
by Scott GastApr 27, 2010
- Bill McKibben’s latest book explores what it’ll take to live on a planet less sweet than it used to be. During a recent stop in Seattle, he described the smaller, slower, and wiser future that may be our best bet.
The End of the Long Summer
by Sherry BoschertApr 13, 2010
- A new book by a leading science writer tells what we need to do to survive climate change.
Getting to the Heart of Interfaith
by Rev. Wendy L. BellApr 13, 2010
- The Eye-Opening, Hope-Filled Friendship of a Pastor, a Rabbi & a Sheikh.
Book Excerpt: Getting to the Heart of Interfaith
by Pastor Don Mackenzie, Rabbi Ted Falcon, Sheikh Jamal RahmanApr 13, 2010
- In the chapter "Honoring the Spirit" the Interfaith Amigos describe one of the most meaningful moments they have experienced in their work together.
Bringing it to the Table
by James TrimarcoMar 30, 2010
- Wendell Berry on Farming and Food. Pragmatic and passionate insights appear in each of the 24 essays in Bringing it to the Table by Wendell Berry, reviewed here by James Trimarco.
Meeting Faith: An Inward Odyssey
by Faith AdieleFeb 11, 2010
- American Girls: An excerpt from Faith Adiele's memoir.
The Food of a Younger Land
by Laura KaliebeDec 15, 2009
- Author Mark Kurlansky unearths a Depression-era project to document the country’s food traditions.
by Rinku SenDec 15, 2009
- ColorLines' Rinku Sen finds this guide useful for "anyone who stays close to the ground as they help to change that landscape".
Guardians of the Revolution
by John FefferDec 15, 2009
- Iran and the United States do not have to remain eternal enemies. So argues Ray Takeyh, an Iranian-born scholar at the Council on Foreign Relations, in his useful and engaging new book.
by Laura KaliebeSep 18, 2009
- Review of Chris Carlsson's Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-Lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future—Today!
When the Prisoners Ran Walpole
by Carol EstesSep 18, 2009
- Carol Estes reviews Jamie Bissonette's account of a true story in the movement for prison abolition
The Poor as Customers?
Sep 18, 2009
- John Harvey reviews Michael Edwards' Just Another Emperor? The Myths and Realities of Philantrocapitalism
For the Love of Libros in Cuba
by Marina SitrinApr 23, 2009
- Nearly half of Cuba's population attended the country's book fair last year. Marina Sitrin attends this year's fair and writes about her experience in a nation that celebrates books.
In Review :: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke JarvisFeb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
Reading list for a better world.