Reading list for a better world.
In Review :: Conversations over the Line
posted Nov 30, 2006
- Reviews of bell hooks and Amalia Mesa-Bains' Homegrown: Engaged Cultural Criticism, Jill Bamburg's Getting to Scale, Peacemaking Circles: From Crime to Community by Kay Pranis, Barry Stuart and Mark Wedge, and the film The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil, directed by Faith Morgan.
Notes from Underground
posted Jun 21, 2006
- Reviews of Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World, Global Class War, Healthy Money, Healthy Planet, Home Enlightenment and Independent America.
Book Review: Every Day is a Good Day by Wilma Mankiller
by Lilja Ottoposted Apr 18, 2006
- Provides insights into the lives and ideas of indigenous women and invites readers to re-examine their own cultural and spiritual backgrounds.
Book Review: No More Throw-away People by Edgar Cahn
by David Bollierposted Apr 26, 2005
- No More Throwaway People is a provocative analysis of the non-market economy and an inspiration for the social service community.
Book Review: The Boiling Point by Ross Gelbspan
by K C Goldenposted Apr 26, 2005
- The science of global warming, and the dream of the "World Energy Modernization Plan" are two issues covered in the book
by Darrin Burgessposted Apr 12, 2005
- Darrin Burgess reviews "Hope Dies Last" and "The Impossible Will Take a Little While"
The Fragrance of Faith: the Enlightened Heart of Islam by Jamal Rahman
by Rabbi Ted Falconposted Jan 19, 2005
- A book as important as Jamal Rahman's The Fragrance of Faith needs to be recommended with as much grace as possible for it contains precious reminders that the spiritual teachings of Islam are as filled with compassion as they can be.
Book Review - In Praise of Slowness: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed
by Ellie Winninghoffposted Aug 20, 2004
- This book by Carl Honore explores our infatuation with speed, and speed's impact on community, relationships,fear, and more.
COMPASSIONATE LISTENING and Other Writings
by Gene Knudsen Hoffmanposted Aug 20, 2004
- A book about re-establishing relationships among those in conflict as a form of reconciliation.
In Review :: After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order
by David Kortenposted Aug 20, 2004
- Is the American empire waning? David Korten reviews a book by French demographer Emmanuel Todd.
Book Review - With All Our Strength: the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
by Negin Almassiposted Jul 18, 2004
Book Review- CONFRONTING CONSUMPTION Edited by Thomas Princen, Michael Maniates, and Ken Conca
by Vicki Robinposted Jul 18, 2004
- Book Review- CONFRONTING CONSUMPTION Edited by Thomas Princen, Michael Maniates, and Ken Conca
Book Review - A Human Being Died That Night: a South African Story of Forgiveness
by Leah Samuelposted Jul 18, 2004
Book review - Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, And Sex Workers In the New Economy
by Robin Broadposted Jul 18, 2004
Book Review: Radical Simpliciy: Small Footprints On a Finite Earth
by Doug Pibelposted May 20, 2004
- Book review of RADICAL SIMPLICITY: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth by Jim Merkel- Reviewed by Doug Pibel