Equality Ride :: Photos from the 2007 Tour
by Adam Britt, Amanda HarrisJul 29, 2008
- Photos from the 2007 Equality Ride, bringing 50 riders to conservative campuses to show the humanity and spirituality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
Life in Iran with Rick Steves
by Abdi SamiJul 11, 2008
- In March of 2008 Rick Steves travelled to Iran to produce a travel documentary on the country and its people. Rick's intention was to put a human face on the people behind the headlines about Iran. Here are photos and stories from the team's ten days of traveling.
Life in Iran :: Photo Essay
by Arash ShivaMay 09, 2008
- Arash Shiva’s beautiful photographs of daily life in Iran, taken in Fall 2007.
Peace Corps in Paraguay :: Photo Essay
by Justin Mog, Amanda FullerMay 09, 2008
- Peace Corps volunteers Justin Mog and Amanda Fuller were dispatched to an impoverished community in rural Paraguay, where they launched a seed bank, which loans tree, vegetable, and alternative crop seeds.
Chris Jordan :: Running the Numbers
by Chris JordanApr 14, 2008
- Dazzling images make the statistics that describe the huge waste streams of our consumer culture visible. This photo essay shows recent works of Chris Jordan from his Running the Numbers and Intolerable Beauty series.
Photo Essay :: Pete Seeger at Home
by Michael BowmanFeb 08, 2008
- This photo series by Michael Bowman for YES! Magazine shows folk-legend Pete Seeger at his home in Beacon, New York, overlooking the Hudson River, in December, 2007.
Umoja Village Photo Essay
by Heather MuellerNov 09, 2007
- In Miami, homeless citizens didn’t wait for the city. They created their own home and found dignity and safety. Article: Heather Mueller. Photo essay: Rolfe Ross.
Burning Man Photo Essay
by Catherine BaileyOct 02, 2007
- A photo essay by Catherine Bailey from Burning Man: the annual art event based on radical self expression and self-reliance in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
Emma Goldman Finishing School Photo Essay
Oct 01, 2007
- A photo essay of life at the Emma Goldman Finishing School, a social justice commune in Seattle.
Seeing Another World: U.S. Social Forum 2008
Aug 14, 2007
- Instead of drawing crowds with superstar speakers and performers, the participants of the 2008 U.S. Social Forum were the stars. Those who are accustomed to being excluded were at the center, and those who were used to being silenced were heard.
Phil Borges :: Women Empowered
Jul 29, 2007
- Phil Borges' latest work, "Women Empowered," profiles women in the developing world who are challenging gender norms to improve their situation and help their communities.
In Their Own Words
Jun 16, 2007
- A YES! photo-essay with portraits and accompanying interviews with the Cuban pioneers of global health care.
Mar 23, 2007
- A selection from Eddie Adams' celebrated photographs of the lives of an extraordinary group of courageous individuals worldwide: the 'defenders' of human rights.
New visions of the world we thought we knew.