“Action is the Antidote to Despair”
Jul 06, 2010
- Photo essay: A photographer confronts the BP oil disaster.
US Social Forum Detroit: Opening March
Jun 23, 2010
- Photo Essay: Thousands attended the march to kick off the week-long event in Detroit.
Development Redefined: A Holistic Vision in Bangladesh
by Suzanna FinleyJun 17, 2010
- Photo essay: Bangladeshi activists promote development that's rooted in indigenous knowledge and community values.
Green Festival 2010
by Kaitlin BaileyJun 09, 2010
- YES! Magazine participated in the Seattle Green Festival June 5-6, 2010 to promote sustainable living and healthy lifestyles.
Youth Portraits of Eco Heroes
Jun 04, 2010
- A group of East Bay middle and high school students from Berkeley's Young Artists Workspace (YAWS) chose environmental heroes and each created their own unique artistic portraits.
It’s Everybody’s Water.
May 19, 2010
- It's time we fall in love with the bundle of atoms that makes Earth possible. A photo essay on water
The Biking Wittwer Family
by Sara Cross, Travis WittwerMay 13, 2010
- Join Travis Wittwer for a day of bike commuting with his children in Portland, Ore.
An Urban Wilderness in Milwaukee
by Eddee DanielMay 13, 2010
- The Menomonee River watershed in Milwaukee is what Eddee Daniel calls an "urban wilderness", and it is something that should and can exist in every American town and city.
It’s Everybody’s Water
May 13, 2010
- It's time we fall in love with the bundle of atoms that makes Earth possible.
City Repair in Action
May 12, 2010
- Photo essay: City Repair helps people organize, design, and implement new, people-friendly visions for their communities—and reclaim the notion of “neighborhood” in the process. Here’s a collection of their best work.
Haiti: Aftermath of the Earthquake
Feb 16, 2010
- Photo Essay: Photographer Willie Davis offers a glimpse into the fallout of the Haitian earthquake, capturing the devastation and resilience.
Living Water Garden on the Fu and Nan Rivers
Feb 16, 2010
- Photo Essay: A look at China's living water garden in Chengdu. This floating ecological living machine—a gorgeous botanical garden—is restoring open sewage canals.
Blended Nation: A Portrait of Mixed-Race America
Feb 10, 2010
- Photo Essay: Mike Tauber's 2009 book, Blended Nation: Portraits and Interviews of Mixed-Race America, features photographs of individuals alongside intimate interviews about their thoughts on what it means to be multiracial.
Eighteen Days in Tehran
Feb 05, 2010
- Abdi Sami shares his visual diary from an 18-day journey taken in Iran in late October 2009.
Seed Savers Exchange
Dec 29, 2009
- Seed Savers is the largest non-governmental seed bank in the U.S., housing a collection of 25,000 heirloom seeds for future generations.
New visions of the world we thought we knew.