New visions of the world we thought we knew.
Equality Ride :: Photos from the 2007 Tour
by Adam Britt, Amanda Harrisposted Jul 29, 2008
- Photos from the 2007 Equality Ride, bringing 50 riders to conservative campuses to show the humanity and spirituality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
Life in Iran with Rick Steves
by Abdi Samiposted Jul 11, 2008
- In March of 2008 Rick Steves travelled to Iran to produce a travel documentary on the country and its people. Rick's intention was to put a human face on the people behind the headlines about Iran. Here are photos and stories from the team's ten days of traveling.
Life in Iran :: Photo Essay
by Arash Shivaposted May 09, 2008
- Arash Shiva’s beautiful photographs of daily life in Iran, taken in Fall 2007.
Peace Corps in Paraguay :: Photo Essay
by Justin Mog, Amanda Fullerposted May 09, 2008
- Peace Corps volunteers Justin Mog and Amanda Fuller were dispatched to an impoverished community in rural Paraguay, where they launched a seed bank, which loans tree, vegetable, and alternative crop seeds.
Chris Jordan :: Running the Numbers
by Chris Jordanposted Apr 14, 2008
- Dazzling images make the statistics that describe the huge waste streams of our consumer culture visible. This photo essay shows recent works of Chris Jordan from his Running the Numbers and Intolerable Beauty series.
The Barefoot Photographers of Tilonia
posted Feb 08, 2008
- Photo Essay from the Barefoot College in Tilonia, India. Barefoot solar engineers trained by the Barefoot College have solar electrified over 200 communities in India, bringing light to over 80,000 people. The college is now training barefoot women solar engineers from 10 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, among other projects.
Photo Essay :: Pete Seeger at Home
by Michael Bowmanposted Feb 08, 2008
- This photo series by Michael Bowman for YES! Magazine shows folk-legend Pete Seeger at his home in Beacon, New York, overlooking the Hudson River, in December, 2007.
Earth Under Fire Photo Essay
by Gary Braaschposted Feb 06, 2008
- This photo-essay offers a sample of Gary Braasch's extraordinary achievements in highlighting the effects of climate change. His latest book Earth Under Fire: How Global Warming is Changing the World, presents dramatic photographs, maps, and quotes from world climate science leaders.
Christopher Herwig Photo Essay
posted Feb 06, 2008
- A photo essay of the Aral Sea. Straddling the border between Kazakhstan in the north and Uzbekistan in the south, the Aral Sea was the fourth-largest lake in the world until Soviet-era irrigation diverted water, destroying it.
Emma Goldman Finishing School Photo Essay
posted Jan 17, 2008
- A photo essay of life at the Emma Goldman Finishing School, a social justice commune in Seattle.
Burning Man Photo Essay
by Catherine Baileyposted Dec 31, 2007
- A photo essay by Catherine Bailey from Burning Man: the annual art event based on radical self expression and self-reliance in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
Umoja Village Photo Essay
by Heather Muellerposted Nov 09, 2007
- In Miami, homeless citizens didn’t wait for the city. They created their own home and found dignity and safety. Article: Heather Mueller. Photo essay: Rolfe Ross.
Photo Essay: The First USSF in Atlanta, Ga.
posted Aug 14, 2007
Seeing Another World: U.S. Social Forum 2008
posted Aug 14, 2007
- Instead of drawing crowds with superstar speakers and performers, the participants of the 2008 U.S. Social Forum were the stars. Those who are accustomed to being excluded were at the center, and those who were used to being silenced were heard.
Art in this Issue :: Antofagasta, Chile
by Rodrigo Araya Plazaposted Jul 30, 2007
- This slideshow highlights some of the art and photography featured in the Summer 2007 issue of YES! Magazine. This page: Rodrigo 'RasDragon' Araya Plaza.