New visions of the world we thought we knew.
N30 Global Day of Action on Climate Crisis
posted Dec 07, 2009
- On November 30, the 10th anniversary of the 1999 World Trade Organization protests in Seattle, activists call for urgent action on the global climate crisis.
Climate Direct Action Camp
posted Nov 16, 2009
- In June 2008, activists gathered in Montana for the Climate Ground Zero Citizens Direct Action Training Camp, where they learned skills including the history and practice of nonviolent direct action, campaign strategy, and community organizing.
posted Nov 11, 2009
- Susan Hardman photographs Costa Rica, which topped the 2009 Happy Planet Index. The Index takes into consideration factors such as a country's ecological footprint and life expectancies.
posted Oct 06, 2009
- The Bamboo Bike Studio in Brooklyn, New York, teaches students to build their own bamboo bicycles in one weekend. Workshop proceeds help finance bamboo bike factories in Ghana, Kenya, and Ecuador.
Let's Think Peace
posted Sep 21, 2009
- Huong, an artist, peace activist, and former refugee who fled her native Vietnam in 1975, has painted her visions of war and peace for more than three decades.
The Human Powered Home :: Photo Essay
posted May 06, 2009
- This photo-essay features images from Tamara Dean's book The Human-Powered Home: Choosing Muscles Over Motors. The book is a one-of-a-kind compendium of human-powered devices gathered from a unique collection of experts.
New Crop of Farmers
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Today’s young farmers are protecting the land and seeds, reclaiming farming traditions, and sharing abundance with family and community. Meet some of these young farmers in our photo essay.
Art and Upheaval :: Photos from the Book
posted Feb 13, 2009
- This photo-essay features images from William Cleveland's book Art and Upheaval. The book tells remarkable stories about artists who resolve conflict, heal unspeakable trauma, give voice to the forgotten and disappeared, and restitch the cultural fabric of their communities.
Week of Nonviolence in Iraq :: Photo Essay
posted Dec 02, 2008
- Photos and stories from Iraq's third annual Week of Nonviolence, organized by La’Onf. More than 100 citizen groups in all 18 Iraqi provinces participated in the event.
Bhutan :: Land of the Thunder Dragon :: Photo Essay
by JenFu Chengposted Nov 07, 2008
- “I do believe that I have left a part of my heart in this mountain land. And, in return, the people of Bhutan continue to lift my soul each day.” says photographer JenFu Cheng about his journey to Bhutan, the Land of the Thunder Dragon.
WTO Photo Quiz
by Kevin Sharpposted Jul 30, 2008
- Photographer Kevin Sharp paired his photos of the 1999 event with stills from the new film. You might be surprised by what's real and what's not
Equality Ride :: Photos from the 2007 Tour
by Adam Britt, Amanda Harrisposted Jul 29, 2008
- Photos from the 2007 Equality Ride, bringing 50 riders to conservative campuses to show the humanity and spirituality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
Life in Iran with Rick Steves
by Abdi Samiposted Jul 11, 2008
- In March of 2008 Rick Steves travelled to Iran to produce a travel documentary on the country and its people. Rick's intention was to put a human face on the people behind the headlines about Iran. Here are photos and stories from the team's ten days of traveling.
Life in Iran :: Photo Essay
by Arash Shivaposted May 09, 2008
- Arash Shiva’s beautiful photographs of daily life in Iran, taken in Fall 2007.
Peace Corps in Paraguay :: Photo Essay
by Justin Mog, Amanda Fullerposted May 09, 2008
- Peace Corps volunteers Justin Mog and Amanda Fuller were dispatched to an impoverished community in rural Paraguay, where they launched a seed bank, which loans tree, vegetable, and alternative crop seeds.