Telling inspiring stories of social change.
Troy Davis' Last Request
by Sarah van Gelderposted Sep 22, 2011
- Troy Davis’ last words before his execution on Wednesday night included this call: The tragedy of American capital punishment must come to an end.
A Double Win for Fresh Food
by Oran B. Hestermanposted Sep 15, 2011
- In Michigan, food stamps are worth double at farmers markets, which means more healthy food for low-income shoppers and more customers for local farmers.
Creating Jobs in the New Normal
posted Sep 14, 2011
- YES! Executive Editor Sarah van Gelder on Free Speech TV: How local economies can help fight unemployment.
“We Can Change History”
posted Sep 07, 2011
- Video: Two weeks and 1,252 arrests later—how a committed group of activists made an oil pipeline an international issue.
A Bikeshare Success Story
posted Aug 24, 2011
- Who says Washington never gets anything right?
“Criminals” for a Stable Climate
posted Aug 22, 2011
- Behind the scenes: to stop a tar sands pipeline, the climate justice movement begins civil disobedience on a grand scale.
A Very Civil Civil Disobedience
posted Aug 19, 2011
- "From Henry David Thoreau, to Susan B. Anthony, to Gandhi, to King, to you." Oscar-nominated director Josh Fox on how you can help stop the disastrous development of the Canadian tar sands.
Debt Crisis? Try Growth Crisis
by Richard Heinbergposted Aug 03, 2011
- Video: Richard Heinberg explains why the debt crisis is really a growth crisis... and why that might not be such a bad thing.
posted Aug 01, 2011
- One of the poorest cities in the nation is reinvesting in itself with a model for a localized economy.
Worth Dying For
posted Jul 27, 2011
- A video tribute to those who have sacrificed their lives to protect the environment.
Standing Up to Corporatism
posted Jul 12, 2011
- At the second March on Blair Mountain, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. tells the story of America’s long struggle against unchecked corporate power.
What’s the True Price of Gas?
posted Jul 05, 2011
- Video: How much do we really pay for a gallon of gas? The costs extend beyond what we pay at the pump.
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
posted Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
The End of the American Dream?
posted Jun 24, 2011
- Video: While the rich are getting richer, ordinary people are suffering. How can we bring an end to our "rich takes all" society?
Life in a Local Living Economy
posted Jun 17, 2011
- Video: How Bellingham, Washington keeps it local.