TEDTalk: What It Feels Like to Be Transgender
Sep 14, 2016
- Twenty-year-old slam poet Lee Mokoke passionately expresses his journey from being “more Ken than Barbie” to “loving my body enough to let it go” in a highly gendered society.
What Does a Feminist Mortician Look Like?
by Jennifer LuxtonMay 04, 2016
- Historically, when a man takes care of a corpse, he is a professional. When a woman takes care of a corpse, it’s a domestic task. How can we close the gender gap in the death care industry?
Video: The Racist Origins of 6 Common Phrases You Probably Use
by Liz PleasantOct 16, 2015
- The point isn’t that we necessarily have to abandon phrases like “hip hip hooray” and “no can do.” But understanding their racist origins helps us move beyond them.
Creeped Out by "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? Try This Feminist Version
Dec 24, 2014
- In the original song, she wants to go home, he says no, and then he spikes her drink. Blogger Dara Laine replaces the uncomfortable Christmas refrain with the female-friendly "Baby, It's Consent Inside."
Video: Remembering Nelson Mandela and His Reconciliation Process—Which Is Needed Now More Than Ever
by Kayla SchultzDec 05, 2014
- A singing flash mob honors the passing of Nelson Mandela, who helped establish South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation process after apartheid.
Video: Instead of Paying Our Kids to Do Their Homework, Let’s Teach Them Gratitude
by Kayla SchultzOct 31, 2014
- At this pay-it-forward restaurant, everyone's meal is paid for by previous guests—out of generosity. Karma Kitchen's founder on how kindness became contagious
Own the Change: Building Economic Democracy One Worker Co-op at a Time
Oct 24, 2014
- Take a sneak peek at “Own the Change,” a new documentary about worker-owned cooperatives.
Video: Last Native Speaker Records Wukchumni Language
by Kayla SchultzOct 17, 2014
- If your language was on the brink of extinction, what would you do? The last speaker of Wukchumni created a makeshift dictionary out of scraps of paper.
Video: Why Waste Coffee Grounds When Delicious Mushrooms Love to Grow on Them?
Oct 10, 2014
- See how an urban farm in the United Kingdom is recycling coffee waste to grow gourmet mushrooms.
Video: A Bear and Fox Show Why Empathy Brings Us Closer than Sympathy
Oct 03, 2014
- Empathy involves a deeper connection than sympathy does, and often means sharing a bit of emotional vulnerability.
An Astronomer Explains Why This Is the Best Moment in Cosmic History to Be Alive
by TRBQSep 12, 2014
- A deep look at the stars and their role in our creation makes a welcome break from the news of the day.
Video: Inside America's Largest Worker-Owned Co-op
Aug 21, 2014
- What does it take to keep a massive co-op growing? Find out in this video profile of the people behind Cooperative Health Care Associates.
The Eerie Beauty of Landscapes Devastated by Industry
by Christine St. PierreJul 11, 2014
- Edward Burtynsky documents the environmental effects of oil extraction through striking landscape photography.
Meet the 99-Year-Old Revolutionary Who's Still Changing Detroit
Jul 03, 2014
- PBS's new documentary "American Revolutionary" explores the life of Grace Lee Boggs—who's been fighting for civil and labor rights in the Motor city for more than 75 years.
These Native American Filmmakers Are Telling Their People's Stories—Their Way
by Christine St. PierreJul 01, 2014
- Longhouse Media helps indigenous artists step behind the camera and document their lives.
Telling inspiring stories of social change.