The creative spirit, and how it moves us.
- Photo Essays
- New visions of the world we thought we knew.
- Soundtrack to a revolution.
- Reading list for a better world.
- Wisdom to go.
- Telling inspiring stories of social change.
- Create your own captions.
- Poets speak out.
- Listen to interviews, podcasts, radio programs that tell the YES! stories.
- Watch trailers to our pick of maddening and motivating independent films.
Occupy Oakland, in Pictures
posted Nov 04, 2011
- From rebuilding after a police raid to closing down the nation's fifth largest port, things have been busy at Occupy Oakland.
Posters to Occupy Everywhere
posted Nov 03, 2011
- Graphic designers put their stamp on the messages of the 99%.
Film Review: The Last Mountain
by Ayla Harbinposted Nov 01, 2011
- Follow a group of residents-turned-activists in their efforts to save Coal River Mountain, the last one left in an area devastated by mining.
YES! Music Picks: Winter 2012
posted Nov 01, 2011
- Musical inspiration while putting together the Winter 2012 issue.
Words That Inspire: The Laughing Thrush
posted Oct 25, 2011
- Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin believes that it’s natural to love being in the world around us. His poem, "The Laughing Thrush," captures a sense of place with rich details and abundant joy.
Red State Ranchers Vs. the Pipeline
posted Oct 07, 2011
- Nebraska isn’t known for environmental activism—but an oil pipeline that would cross the Ogallala aquifer is changing that.
posted Oct 01, 2011
- The best of the July/August YES! cartoon caption submissions.
A Moveable Planet
posted Sep 29, 2011
- Video: In more than 175 countries, people found creative ways to show they're ready to move away from fossil fuels.
Local Jobs Through Local Banking
posted Sep 26, 2011
- Not just the recession: What our banking system has to do with our unemployment crisis, and what we can do about it.
It's Our Wall Street: Inside an American Occupation
posted Sep 23, 2011
- Photo essay: Inspired by the public protests of Egypt, Tunisia, and Spain, American demonstrators are nearly a week into their "occupation" of Wall Street.
Troy Davis' Last Request
by Sarah van Gelderposted Sep 22, 2011
- Troy Davis’ last words before his execution on Wednesday night included this call: The tragedy of American capital punishment must come to an end.
Words That Inspire: Martin Luther King, Jr.
posted Sep 22, 2011
- What is fair to one person may not be fair to another. How can students become aware of injustice—at school, in your community, and in this world— and dig deeper to discover how they can transform injustice to justice?
A Double Win for Fresh Food
by Oran B. Hestermanposted Sep 15, 2011
- In Michigan, food stamps are worth double at farmers markets, which means more healthy food for low-income shoppers and more customers for local farmers.
Creating Jobs in the New Normal
posted Sep 14, 2011
- YES! Executive Editor Sarah van Gelder on Free Speech TV: How local economies can help fight unemployment.
“We Can Change History”
posted Sep 07, 2011
- Video: Two weeks and 1,252 arrests later—how a committed group of activists made an oil pipeline an international issue.