As homesteaders, we often find ways to create gifts for our family and friends. This year, homemade Kombucha Tea will be on the list, as well as a Kombucha SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast). Kombucha, with its probiotics, is too healthy not to pass along.
We received our original SCOBY for free, and at this time we will do the same for anyone who wants one.
Contact us through our website: CoyoteRidgeFarms.com, if you want a free Kombucha SCOBY. Just pay the cost of shipping, and it's yours.
1 gallon water
5-6 bags black tea
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 Kombucha SCOBY with starter tea
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil. Shut off heat.
- Add 5-6 tea bags and steep 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar. Let sweet tea cool to room temperature.
- Pour tea into 1 gallon glass jar. Add vinegar and SCOBY with starter.
- Add remaining water to fill jar to neck. Cover with paper towel or double layer of cheese cloth. Store at room temperature in quiet/still environment (keep out of direct sunlight). There should be a new SCOBY/daughter in jar with the mother.
- Taste in a week. Should be ready for bottling in 7-14 days. Bottle when you can still barely taste some sweetness.
- Let set for a week before storing in fridge. Makes 1 gallon.