The author of Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture, Shannon lives and works with her family on Sap Bush Hollow Farm in upstate New York.
The Audacity of Acting Out: What Our Kids Can Teach Us
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 10, 2012
- In a society where we are taught not to call out absurdity where we see it, how can we learn to speak up?
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
The Other Side of Gainful Unemployment
by Shannon Hayesposted May 31, 2012
- The downsides of doing it all.
The Perks of Being Gainfully Unemployed
by Shannon Hayesposted May 18, 2012
- Is job security real security? Shannon Hayes makes the case for diversifying your income.
Radical Homemaking … In the South of France?
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 18, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Do radical homemaking and foreign travel mix?
When It Comes to Kids, Is Climate a Four-Letter Word?
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 27, 2012
- When and how should we talk to kids about the dangers of climate change? One mother's take.
My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon Hayesposted Jan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.
Reclaiming Christmas, Radical Homemaker Style
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 21, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: Can you take on consumerism without being a Scrooge?
From the Farm to the Occupation
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 07, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on taking farm politics to Occupy Wall Street...and talking about the politics of Occupy in her farming community.
Farmers, Foodies, Radical Homemakers: Time to Occupy Wall Street
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 02, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: I’m usually content to live a life of protest, but the time has come to take my protest to the street.
Toilet Paper Preparedness vs. True Resilience
by Shannon Hayesposted Nov 02, 2011
- What I learned from the hurricane: Real emergency preparedness has more to do with community than canned goods.
Radical Homemakers vs. the Hurricane
by Shannon Hayesposted Aug 30, 2011
- Shannon Hayes reports from Schoharie County, New York, which was hard-hit by Hurricane Irene.
Saying Goodbye to the P.O.
by Shannon Hayesposted Aug 09, 2011
- Thousands of small-town post offices are on notice for closure. Radical homemaker Shannon Hayes on what that will mean for the communities who love them.
Can You Be a Radical Homemaker With an Unsupportive Partner?
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 07, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: What happens when one member of a couple wants to live a new kind of life—but the other doesn't?
Renouncing, Reclaiming, Rebuilding: The 3 Steps of Radical Homemaking
by Shannon Hayesposted May 27, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on the process of replacing the “givens” of mainstream life with more resilient ways of living.