From the Executive Editor
Sarah van Gelder
After Rana Plaza: Let's Bring Humanity Back Into Our Stuff
by Christa Hillstromposted Aug 29, 2013
- We all know our stuff doesn't grow on store shelves. Here's how we can rehumanize our relationship with our things—and the people who make them.
The Cooperative Way to a Stronger Economy
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 19, 2013
- Co-ops—just like people—can get more done together than anyone can do alone. They come in many forms, and are more common than you might imagine.
To Change Our Direction, It’s Time to Follow Nature’s Lead
by Sarah van Gelderposted Nov 19, 2012
- It takes humility to recognize that what we’ve called progress isn’t always for the better. Sometimes nature’s original idea was a better one.
The Body Politic
by Madeline Ostranderposted Aug 21, 2012
- Taking charge of our bodies means more than buying stuff. It means reckoning with the intersection between our humanity and the political and environmental decisions our society makes.
Homes That Survived the Crash
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 13, 2012
- While Wall Street players used home finance to make mega-profits for the 1 percent, local banks and community land trusts got people into decent, secure, affordable homes.
How to Put People Back in Charge
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 20, 2012
- Corporate power is behind the politics of climate denial, Wall Street bailouts, union busting, and media consolidation, and more. What prospect do We the People have for putting power back where it belongs?
YES! Turns 15
by Sarah van Gelderposted Nov 15, 2011
- After 15 years of solutions-oriented reporting, we don’t believe there is a single leader somewhere who is going to show us all how to live better. The changes are coming from all of us.
Jobs: What Will It Take?
by Sarah van Gelderposted Sep 07, 2011
- The middle-class way of life is in trouble. The Fall 2011 issue of YES! Magazine asks how we can build strong local economies that sustain us in challenging times.
Instead of Prison
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 03, 2011
- 2.3 million people behind bars. How to stop wasting lives and money.
Animals Among Us
by Sarah van Gelderposted Mar 08, 2011
- Should we eat animals? Can we save our ailing wildlife? What can animals teach us about caring for the planet and each other? The Spring 2011 issue of YES! Magazine explores our relationship with other creatures.
Families In Hard Times
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 02, 2010
- Multigenerational households, same-sex partnerships, and stay-at-home dads: The Winter 2011 issue of YES! Magazine explores our changing sense of family.
Seeds of Resilience
by Sarah van Gelderposted Sep 17, 2010
- Climate change, peak oil, and a stalled economy: The Fall 2010 issue of YES! Magazine shows how people step up in uncertain times to create a resilient way of life.
The Water We Need
by Madeline Ostranderposted May 27, 2010
- Senior editor Madeline Ostrander introduces the Water Solutions issue.
Becoming a Whole Nation
by Sarah van Gelderposted Mar 04, 2010
- Sarah van Gelder introduces the Spring 2010 issue of YES! Magazine: There are some extraordinary people working to make a vision of a just, inclusive society a reality ...
There's Still Enough Time to Avert Climate Chaos
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 01, 2009
- Editor Sarah van Gelder's introduction to Climate Action, the Winter 2010 issue of YES! Magazine.