In Review :: The Revolution Will Not Be Funded
by James TrimarcoFeb 03, 2008
- James Trimarco reviews INCITE's The Revolutions Will Not be Funded. Women of Color Against Violence challenge the no-profit model of social action and propose thoughtful alternative strategies.
In Review :: Remembering Tomorrow
by Jen AngelFeb 03, 2008
- Jen Angel reviews Michael Albert's new memoir, Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism.
In Review :: Beyond Prisons
by Carol EstesFeb 03, 2008
- Carol Estes reviews Magnani and Wray's Beyond Prisons: a fascinating, imaginative approach to reinventing criminal justice.
In Review :: Gaia Girls
by Catherine BaileySep 17, 2007
- Review of Gaia Girls by Catherine Bailey.
In Review :: Personal Safety Nets
by Lisa FarinoSep 17, 2007
- Book review: Personal Safety Nets: Getting Ready for Life's Inevitable Changes & Challenges by John W. Gibson and Judy Pigott.
In Review :: Secrets of Happiness
by Cecile AndrewsSep 17, 2007
- Book review: Stephen Post and Jill Neimark's 'Why Good Things Happen to Good People' shows that people who are kind and caring score higher on all sorts of measures like happiness, health, longevity, self-esteem, and creativity
In Review :: China Blue
by Peter LuyckxJul 29, 2007
- A deep-access account of what both China and the international retail companies don’t want us to see—how the clothes we buy are actually made.
Jul 29, 2007
- YES! picks of music, movies and food.
In Review :: Phil Borges, Women Empowered
by Tracy Loeffelholz DunnJul 29, 2007
- Acclaimed portrait photographer Phil Borges offers a stunning sampling of empowered women from Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America.
by Catherine Bailey, Sarah KuckMay 31, 2007
- Yes! reveals their musical inspiration while putting together this issue as well as favorite independent films.
May 31, 2007
- Reviews of The Oil Depletion Protocol: A Plan to Avert Oil Wars, Terrorism and Economic Collapse; Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future; and the documentary film Juvies.
May 11, 2007
- Review of the documentary "Favela Rising" with Anderson Sa frontman for the band Afro Reggae. AfroReggae's music has brought the sound of hope to Brazil's slums.
Mar 18, 2007
- Reviews of Planetwalker: How to Change Your World One Step at a Time; Earthlight: Spiritual Wisdom for an Ecological Age; Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause; and Black Gold.
In Review :: Conversations over the Line
Nov 30, 2006
- Reviews of bell hooks and Amalia Mesa-Bains' Homegrown: Engaged Cultural Criticism, Jill Bamburg's Getting to Scale, Peacemaking Circles: From Crime to Community by Kay Pranis, Barry Stuart and Mark Wedge, and the film The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil, directed by Faith Morgan.
Notes from Underground
Jun 21, 2006
- Reviews of Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World, Global Class War, Healthy Money, Healthy Planet, Home Enlightenment and Independent America.
In Review: Books, Music, and Film
Books, Music, and Film