In Review: Books, Music, and Film
Books, Music, and Film
Book Review: Joy Harjo’s Crazy Brave
by Rebecca Leisherposted Nov 12, 2012
- Native American poet Joy Harjo declares, "I was not brave." But her memoir is a gift that urges us to enlist our own crazy bravery to step through the doorways in our lives.
Music Picks: Winter 2013
posted Nov 01, 2012
- Anna Ternheim, Jerry Jeff Walker, and other inspiration while putting together the Winter 2013 issue.
Book Review: “99 to 1” by Chuck Collins
by Scott Gastposted Oct 09, 2012
- Inside the wealth gap that’s wrecking the world—and what we can do about it.
YES! Music Picks: Fall 2012
posted Aug 01, 2012
- Musical inspiration while putting out the Fall 2012 issue.
Bidder 70: The Tim DeChristopher Story
by Samantha Herndonposted Aug 01, 2012
- Last year, climate activist Tim DeChristopher went to jail for bidding $1.7 million (that he didn't have) to save 22,000 acres of public land from corporate extraction.
Inside America’s Worst Toxic Waste Cover-Up
by Valerie Schloredtposted Jul 18, 2012
- Film Review: The Big Fix exposes BP’s efforts to minimize awareness of North America’s biggest oil spill.
A Pastor, a Rabbi, and an Imam Walk Into a Book ...
by Jenn Carretoposted Jul 04, 2012
- In "Religion Gone Astray," three leaders—and friends—from different religions take on violence, exclusivity, gender inequality, and homophobia in some of their scriptures' most controversial verses. What they discovered surprised them.
Radical Religion, an American Tradition
by Rev. Wendy Bellposted Jul 02, 2012
- Book Review: “Prophetic Encounters” reminds us that we are part of a long and rich tradition that is more than simply a series of isolated movements for social change.
The Achilles' Heel of the American Dream
by Sean Burnsposted Jun 28, 2012
- Book Review: “Hillbilly Nationalists, Urban Race Rebels, and Black Power” profiles the radical, working-class movements of the '60s and '70s—a guide for transformation today.
YES! Music Picks: Summer 2012
posted May 01, 2012
- Musical inspiration while putting together the Summer 2012 issue.
A Dakota Way of Life
by Kris Kolbposted Apr 06, 2012
- Diane Wilson’s new book asks, how do you raise beloved children and break the cycle of self-destruction in native communities?
Bring On the Next American Revolution
by Larry Gabrielposted Mar 20, 2012
- Book Review: At 96, Grace Boggs gives us a new handbook for transformation—from victims to empowered citizens.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Feb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
Book Review: We Are Wisconsin
by Josh Eidelsonposted Feb 07, 2012
- The Wisconsin uprising in the words of the activists, writers, and everyday Wisconsinites who made it happen.
The Koch Brothers Exposed
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Feb 01, 2012
- Film Review: How far do the tentacles of the Kochtopus reach? Follow the money with this collection of 13 short films.