Questions for Students: Earth Charter
“A New Culture Emerges” issue #16, page 41
(1) The Earth Charter was created by a diverse array of citizens' groups, government officials, and nongovernmental organizations around the world. It is a “declaration of principles for building a just, sustainable, and peaceful global society in the 21st century.” Define and briefly describe the following terms:
(2) Read the portion of the Earth Charter preamble that is printed within the article. What broad goals are outlined in the document?
(3) Summarize one of the difficult issues that came up during the drafting of the charter.
(4) The Earth Charter calls on us to join in a “joyful celebration of life.” What are two things you do, or would like to do, to celebrate your life and the lives of others?
(5) Imagine that, like the draftees of the earth charter, you could sit around a table with your classmates and come up with an ideal vision for the future. Focus on your ideal school: What three things would you change about your school to meet that vision?
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.