Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Film Review: Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune
posted May 01, 2011
- A long-overdue tribute to a leading Vietnam-era voice of protest.
The Refugee Child Photographers
by V. Noah Gimbelposted Apr 26, 2011
- How photography training and disposable cameras are giving young Palestinian refugees something new—a voice.
You Can’t Ignore Me Any Longer
posted Apr 14, 2011
- Street artist JR brings art to improbable places, creating projects that force us to really see each other.
Get Your Skysight On!: How to Change the Way We Perceive the World
by Daniel Dancerposted Apr 12, 2011
- Oregon artist and teacher Daniel Dancer helps young people understand how animals, Earth, and humans are connected. By being part of a human painting, students are instilled with the power to change the world and protect endangered species.
Haitian Renaissance: Youth Paint a New Country
by Beverly Bellposted Mar 07, 2011
- How a community art program in Haiti is empowering young people to express their hope for a better future.
US Uncut: How to Do Your Own Bail-In
posted Feb 24, 2011
- Advice from UK Uncut: Bringing an uncut protest to your town is easy.
Signs of the Times: The Best Protest Signs in Madison
posted Feb 18, 2011
- In Madison, Wisconsin, a workers' uprising is resulting in some clever slogans.
One of Many Detroits
by Anonymousposted Jan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
One Plastic Beach
posted Jan 20, 2011
- Video: One kilometer of beach. Thousands of pounds of plastic. One couple turning it all into art.
What Can One Person Do When 6.8 Billion Are Frying the Planet?
posted Dec 28, 2010
- A visual essay.
We're Still Writing “For Colored Girls”
by Jamilah Kingposted Dec 01, 2010
- Why Tyler Perry's adaptation of the classic play matters.
Life After Bullies
by Alexandria Abdallahposted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: How the "It Gets Better" movement is giving fresh hope to LGBT teens.
LGBT Teens Sing For Themselves
posted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: The NYC Youth Pride Chorus records an "It Gets Better" message.
StoryCorps Gets to the Core of American Families
posted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: Preserving the story of the American experience, one interview at a time.
Rocking The Cynical World
by Madeline Ostranderposted Nov 11, 2010
- Why iconic political singer-songwriter Billy Bragg confronts fascists, Tea Parties, Glenn Beck–and his own fans.