Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Portraits of Courage: Americans Who Tell the Truth
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jul 20, 2010
- To fight his shame and cynicism, artist Robert Shetterly began painting the courageous Americans whose lives filled him with pride and hope.
France (Not) to Repay Debt to Haiti
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jul 15, 2010
- A prank website is bringing France's colonial crimes into the spotlight.
We Are Many: Chris Jordan Captures Our Blessed Unrest
posted Jul 09, 2010
- A striking depiction of one million organizations working for a better world.
When Numbers Aren’t Enough
by Paul Loebposted Jul 07, 2010
- Statistics rarely get under our skin, but stories do. Paul Loeb offers advice for catalyzing social change.
“Action is the Antidote to Despair”
posted Jul 06, 2010
- Photo essay: A photographer confronts the BP oil disaster.
Danny Glover: Let’s Reclaim Our Country
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 23, 2010
- Actor and activist Danny Glover on how the Social Forum is strengthening people's movements.
Americans Who Tell the Truth :: David Korten
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jun 21, 2010
- Robert Shetterly’s remarkable collection of portraits reminds us of the dignity, courage and importance of America's truth tellers. This portrait: YES! Board Chair David Korten.
Hate Groups? Not in Our School
posted Jun 10, 2010
- When an anti-gay hate group decided to visit their school, the students of Gunn High drowned out their protest with a celebration of acceptance.
Youth Portraits of Eco Heroes
posted Jun 04, 2010
- A group of East Bay middle and high school students from Berkeley's Young Artists Workspace (YAWS) chose environmental heroes and each created their own unique artistic portraits.
Building the World We Want: Interview with Mark Lakeman
by Brooke Jarvisposted May 12, 2010
- Interview with the co-founder of the City Repair Project, a Portland group that helps neighbors turn public spaces into gathering places.
The Village Building Convergence
posted May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
Bottle Bank Arcade-What Happens When We Make Choices Fun?
posted May 03, 2010
- Turning bottle recycling into an arcade game produces smiles and a healthier planet.
Big Apple Kids from 194 Countries
posted May 03, 2010
- Danny Goldfield’s NYChildren project captures images of kids from the world's 194 countries. Catch the project's spirit–it’s more than just pictures.
Midway Atoll: Message From the Gyre
posted Apr 14, 2010
- Video: Chris Jordan's powerful photographs show the impact of disposable plastics on the albatross of Midway Atoll.
Bearing Witness: Chris Jordan on Art, Grief, and Transformation
by Brooke Jarvisposted Apr 14, 2010
- Photographer Chris Jordan's latest project left him feeling grief and hopelessness. Now he wants more people to discover how productive those emotions can be.