A Poet Rewrites the War on Drugs
by Madhu Suri PrakashAug 03, 2011
- After the death of his son, poet Javier Sicilia gave voice to the anguish of the Mexican people—and started a powerful movement of moral indignation against the senseless slaughter of the war on drugs.
At Home with W.S. Merwin
Aug 01, 2011
- The U.S. Poet Laureate on learning from Ezra Pound, and why his plot of indigenous Hawaiian rainforest inspires his poetry today.
Aug 01, 2011
- VERA Project took on Seattle's youth music wasteland to create lasting opportunities for young artists.
Philadelphians Paint the Town
Aug 01, 2011
- How art healed and united troubled communities in the City of Brotherly Love.
A Link Between Tornadoes and Climate Change? Never!
Jun 08, 2011
- Tornadoes, fires, floods, crop failures—they're all isolated events, right? This powerful video helps connect the dots of the climate catastrophe.
Obama’s Sister: What Our Mother Taught Us
by Fran KortenMay 20, 2011
- Maya Soetoro-Ng reflects on her childhood with brother Barack, her own family and children, and how to keep everyone connected.
Life With Poetry, But No Parole
by Spoon JacksonMay 06, 2011
- Locked up for life, prisoner poet Spoon Jackson discovered life as a "melody that flowed like free verse."
Film Review: Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune
May 01, 2011
- A long-overdue tribute to a leading Vietnam-era voice of protest.
The Refugee Child Photographers
by V. Noah GimbelApr 26, 2011
- How photography training and disposable cameras are giving young Palestinian refugees something new—a voice.
You Can’t Ignore Me Any Longer
by Jing FongApr 14, 2011
- Street artist JR brings art to improbable places, creating projects that force us to really see each other.
Haitian Renaissance: Youth Paint a New Country
by Beverly BellMar 07, 2011
- How a community art program in Haiti is empowering young people to express their hope for a better future.
US Uncut: How to Do Your Own Bail-In
Feb 24, 2011
- Advice from UK Uncut: Bringing an uncut protest to your town is easy.
Signs of the Times: The Best Protest Signs in Madison
Feb 18, 2011
- In Madison, Wisconsin, a workers' uprising is resulting in some clever slogans.
One of Many Detroits
by AnonymousJan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
One Plastic Beach
Jan 20, 2011
- Video: One kilometer of beach. Thousands of pounds of plastic. One couple turning it all into art.