Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Banksy Street Art
posted Aug 13, 2010
- Photo Essay: British street artist, Banksy, makes his mark in New Orleans.
Pete Seeger: Don’t Give Up, Don’t Give In
posted Aug 04, 2010
- As Willie Nelson taught us, you just can’t play a sad song on a banjo. Folk legend Pete Seeger unveils his newest protest song.
Stitching Up the Gulf
posted Jul 29, 2010
- Video: 12-year-old Sofia Aderer lost her home to Katrina. Now she's doing her best to make sure birds don't lose their lives to the BP oil spill.
Portraits of Courage: Americans Who Tell the Truth
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jul 20, 2010
- To fight his shame and cynicism, artist Robert Shetterly began painting the courageous Americans whose lives filled him with pride and hope.
France (Not) to Repay Debt to Haiti
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jul 15, 2010
- A prank website is bringing France's colonial crimes into the spotlight.
We Are Many: Chris Jordan Captures Our Blessed Unrest
posted Jul 09, 2010
- A striking depiction of one million organizations working for a better world.
When Numbers Aren’t Enough
by Paul Loebposted Jul 07, 2010
- Statistics rarely get under our skin, but stories do. Paul Loeb offers advice for catalyzing social change.
“Action is the Antidote to Despair”
posted Jul 06, 2010
- Photo essay: A photographer confronts the BP oil disaster.
Danny Glover: Let’s Reclaim Our Country
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 23, 2010
- Actor and activist Danny Glover on how the Social Forum is strengthening people's movements.
Americans Who Tell the Truth :: David Korten
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jun 21, 2010
- Robert Shetterly’s remarkable collection of portraits reminds us of the dignity, courage and importance of America's truth tellers. This portrait: YES! Board Chair David Korten.
Hate Groups? Not in Our School
posted Jun 10, 2010
- When an anti-gay hate group decided to visit their school, the students of Gunn High drowned out their protest with a celebration of acceptance.
Youth Portraits of Eco Heroes
posted Jun 04, 2010
- A group of East Bay middle and high school students from Berkeley's Young Artists Workspace (YAWS) chose environmental heroes and each created their own unique artistic portraits.
Building the World We Want: Interview with Mark Lakeman
by Brooke Jarvisposted May 12, 2010
- Interview with the co-founder of the City Repair Project, a Portland group that helps neighbors turn public spaces into gathering places.
The Village Building Convergence
posted May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
Bottle Bank Arcade-What Happens When We Make Choices Fun?
posted May 03, 2010
- Turning bottle recycling into an arcade game produces smiles and a healthier planet.