Portraits of Courage: Americans Who Tell the Truth
by Robert ShetterlyJul 20, 2010
- To fight his shame and cynicism, artist Robert Shetterly began painting the courageous Americans whose lives filled him with pride and hope.
France (Not) to Repay Debt to Haiti
by Brooke JarvisJul 15, 2010
- A prank website is bringing France's colonial crimes into the spotlight.
We Are Many: Chris Jordan Captures Our Blessed Unrest
Jul 09, 2010
- A striking depiction of one million organizations working for a better world.
When Numbers Aren’t Enough
by Paul LoebJul 07, 2010
- Statistics rarely get under our skin, but stories do. Paul Loeb offers advice for catalyzing social change.
“Action is the Antidote to Despair”
Jul 06, 2010
- Photo essay: A photographer confronts the BP oil disaster.
Danny Glover: Let’s Reclaim Our Country
by Sarah van GelderJun 23, 2010
- Actor and activist Danny Glover on how the Social Forum is strengthening people's movements.
Hate Groups? Not in Our School
Jun 10, 2010
- When an anti-gay hate group decided to visit their school, the students of Gunn High drowned out their protest with a celebration of acceptance.
Youth Portraits of Eco Heroes
Jun 04, 2010
- A group of East Bay middle and high school students from Berkeley's Young Artists Workspace (YAWS) chose environmental heroes and each created their own unique artistic portraits.
Building the World We Want: Interview with Mark Lakeman
by Brooke JarvisMay 12, 2010
- Interview with the co-founder of the City Repair Project, a Portland group that helps neighbors turn public spaces into gathering places.
The Village Building Convergence
May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
Big Apple Kids from 194 Countries
May 03, 2010
- Danny Goldfield’s NYChildren project captures images of kids from the world's 194 countries. Catch the project's spirit–it’s more than just pictures.
Bottle Bank Arcade-What Happens When We Make Choices Fun?
May 03, 2010
- Turning bottle recycling into an arcade game produces smiles and a healthier planet.
Midway Atoll: Message From the Gyre
Apr 14, 2010
- Video: Chris Jordan's powerful photographs show the impact of disposable plastics on the albatross of Midway Atoll.
Bearing Witness: Chris Jordan on Art, Grief, and Transformation
by Brooke JarvisApr 14, 2010
- Photographer Chris Jordan's latest project left him feeling grief and hopelessness. Now he wants more people to discover how productive those emotions can be.
Healing Body and Heart, Cuban Style
by Beverly Bell and Tory FieldApr 02, 2010
- Cuban doctors and artists–on the ground in Haiti even before the earthquake–are helping survivors heal.