Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Lily Yeh: Beauty in Broken Places
by Natalie Pompilioposted Dec 20, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Healing war-torn, broken, and economically devastated communities through art.
Re-Occupy: A Movement Seeks a Sanctuary
by Nathan Schneiderposted Dec 19, 2011
- On occupying Trinity Church—and the Occupy movement's relationship with established institutions.
Occupy Wall Street to World: This Is So Not Over!
by Olivia Rosaneposted Nov 18, 2011
- Two days after being evicted from Zuccotti Park, Occupy Wall Street’s flagship occupation marked its two-month anniversary with a massive celebration of resilience.
Creativity Blossoms in the Great Migration
by Lily Yehposted Nov 18, 2011
- On the industrial outskirts of Beijing, the transient children of the world’s largest migration taught artist Lily Yeh about finding healing and rootedness in creative power.
Painting the Town Prosperous
by James Trimarcoposted Nov 16, 2011
- Urban artists revive our neighborhoods and show us how to share our gifts.
Why We’re Not Afraid
by Velcrow Ripperposted Nov 15, 2011
- Video: “Our communities need us—we are all leaders.” A message for the powers that were.
Ten Ways the Occupy Movement Changes Everything
by Sarah van Gelder, David Korten, Steve Piersantiposted Nov 10, 2011
- Many question whether this movement can really make a difference. The truth is that it is already changing everything. Here’s how.
An All-Ages Music Manifesto
by Jaimee Garbacikposted Nov 04, 2011
- Book Review: How all-ages music venues keep the arts alive, build community, and give young people experience in organizing.
Posters to Occupy Everywhere
posted Nov 03, 2011
- Graphic designers put their stamp on the messages of the 99%.
Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin: Doing the Impossible
by Sarah van Gelderposted Nov 02, 2011
- The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner accepted an appointment as U.S. poet laureate so he could offer just one simple warning.
The Barefoot Artist
posted Nov 01, 2011
- A new film explores Lily Yeh's inner journey to do for herself what her art has helped do for many communities throughout the world.
Plastic State of Mind
posted Nov 01, 2011
- A video parody: Why the age-old "paper or plastic?" question shouldn't be a question at all.
People We Love: JR
posted Oct 20, 2011
- A former street artist makes art for humanity.
“This is Just Practice”—The Story of the Wall Street Occupation
by Nathan Schneiderposted Sep 23, 2011
- There’s a lot of misinformation about the occupation of Wall Street. What’s it really about?
What a 10-Year-Old Did for the Tar Sands
by Angela Sterrittposted Aug 15, 2011
- Why a First Nations student from British Columbia is taking on a controversial trans-Canadian pipeline project—through song.