Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Pete Seeger: “You Stick Together ’Til It’s Won”
by Kim Ruehlposted Dec 04, 2012
- Book Review: Gleaned from letters, essays, and articles, “Pete Seeger: In His Own Words” reveals how the celebrated folk singer has considered, at every turn, what it means to sing out in a world where the din of injustice is deafening.
We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists
by Valerie Schloredtposted Dec 04, 2012
- Film Review: Whether you think the cyberactivists of Anonymous are hooligans or heroes, “We Are Legion” is required viewing.
“Africa for Norway” Global Aid Spoof Goes Viral
by Ayla Harbinposted Nov 30, 2012
- “There’s heat enough for Norway, if Africans would share,” quips this parody of overblown charity fundraisers that’s blowing up the Web. The purpose? To swap stereotypes for real needs.
Your Body is a Body of Water
by Jourdan Keithposted Nov 14, 2012
- A storyteller asks what you'd do if you knew your body was part of the water web.
The City is Our Canvas: A Bay Area Tour, in Murals
posted Oct 24, 2012
- From the alleys of San Francisco to the streets of West Oakland, murals are cropping up throughout the Bay Area with themes as diverse as the artists who paint them.
Speaking for All Bodies (Not Just the “Perfect” Ones)
by Sven Eberleinposted Oct 03, 2012
- In “Sins Invalid,” performance artists shatter stereotypes around sex and disabilities to reclaim the body's redemptive power.
Alice Walker: “Go to the Places That Scare You”
by Valerie Schloredtposted Oct 02, 2012
- Why a life worth living is a life worth fighting for.
Da Vinci, van Gogh ... AT&T? Inside the Corporate Masters Series
by Sarah Guthrieposted Sep 14, 2012
- If corporations are people, what would their portraits look like? Artist Sarah Guthrie on why she defaced classic works of art for an unconventional exhibition.
In Yoga, Better Breathing Through ... Beatboxing?
by Lauren Hardyposted Aug 13, 2012
- Video: Can the offbeat fusion of acoustic guitar and electronic loops help you breathe your way to better movement?
Pete Seeger Visits The Colbert Report
posted Aug 08, 2012
- Stephen Colbert talks to the legendary musician about his new book, “Pete Seeger: In His Own Words.”
One Day On Earth
posted Jun 15, 2012
- What does a given moment look like on the other side of the globe? A new documentary captures a single day in every country on Earth.
Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth
posted Jun 04, 2012
- How the poet, activist, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author has changed the world with her words.
You Can’t Ban History
posted May 31, 2012
- An artist's response to Arizona's ban on ethnic studies.
Pete Seeger: Forever Young
posted May 16, 2012
- You’re never too old to change the world.
Yes, the Climate is Changing
posted May 10, 2012
- Video: People around the world show how climate change is already affecting their lives.