Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
“You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day”
by Rasha Hamidposted May 07, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Rasha Hamid pondered that question, and wrote this poem to her son Jibreel.
A Worldwide Effort to Make Climate Change Visible
by Bill McKibbenposted May 03, 2012
- Bill McKibben: It’s time for each of us to get involved in the full-on fight between misinformation and truth.
Be All You Can Be ... In the Guitarmy
posted May 03, 2012
- Video: Thousands of protesters in New York City sing, “This Land Is Your Land.”
OWS Marks May Day With a Beatific Vision and a Big March
by Nathan Schneiderposted May 02, 2012
- What will be the lasting impacts of Occupy’s latest major action?
Invincible: Detroit’s Homegrown, Hip-Hop Activism
by Shannan Stollposted May 01, 2012
- Powerful, passionate, and politically charged rhymes that speak for marginalized people.
May Day in Context
by Marina Sitrin, Dario Azzelliniposted Apr 30, 2012
- How do this year's May Day demonstrations fit into the international movement for economic justice?
Why This May Day Matters
by Sarah van Gelderposted Apr 27, 2012
- This year, the day is about occupying the space and the time to create a different world.
Can Humor Topple Monsters?
by Laura Gottesdienerposted Apr 26, 2012
- An interview with Yes Man Andy Bichlbaum on his latest prank against Bank of America and why every protest needs some fun.
A Patchwork Guide to the (Disappearing) Neighborhood
by Kathryn Clarkposted Apr 24, 2012
- How have foreclosures transformed the layouts of Detroit, Las Vegas, and other cities? Artist Kathryn Clark’s mapped it—in quilts.
The Importance of Being Sassy
by Sven Eberleinposted Apr 17, 2012
- How Occupiers, pranksters, and artists speak louder than money.
What We Owe Adrienne Rich
by Madeline Ostranderposted Mar 30, 2012
- The late poet was a patriot who wrestled for the soul of her country.
Art on the Edge of Law
posted Mar 22, 2012
- Who gets to break the law, and why? An exploration through art.
In Photos: The True Cost of the Tar Sands
posted Mar 15, 2012
- Conservation photographer Garth Lenz’s exhibition seeks to show the impact of tar sands oil extraction.
Our House, In the Middle of the Bank
posted Mar 13, 2012
- Video: What can you do when the bank takes away your house? Move into theirs.
Occupy Sends In the Clowns
posted Mar 06, 2012
- Meet the + Brigades, an Occupy effort to bring more innovation to the art of nonviolent protest.