Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Signs of the Times: The Best Protest Signs in Madison
posted Feb 18, 2011
- In Madison, Wisconsin, a workers' uprising is resulting in some clever slogans.
One of Many Detroits
by Anonymousposted Jan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
One Plastic Beach
posted Jan 20, 2011
- Video: One kilometer of beach. Thousands of pounds of plastic. One couple turning it all into art.
What Can One Person Do When 6.8 Billion Are Frying the Planet?
posted Dec 28, 2010
- A visual essay.
We're Still Writing “For Colored Girls”
by Jamilah Kingposted Dec 01, 2010
- Why Tyler Perry's adaptation of the classic play matters.
Life After Bullies
by Alexandria Abdallahposted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: How the "It Gets Better" movement is giving fresh hope to LGBT teens.
LGBT Teens Sing For Themselves
posted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: The NYC Youth Pride Chorus records an "It Gets Better" message.
StoryCorps Gets to the Core of American Families
posted Nov 15, 2010
- Video: Preserving the story of the American experience, one interview at a time.
Rocking The Cynical World
by Madeline Ostranderposted Nov 11, 2010
- Why iconic political singer-songwriter Billy Bragg confronts fascists, Tea Parties, Glenn Beck–and his own fans.
Billy Bragg Live
posted Nov 05, 2010
- Video: Billy Bragg performs “Waiting for the Great Leap Forward” and “A Reckoning.”
Signs of Sanity (and/or Fear)
posted Nov 01, 2010
- The best sights and signs from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
51 Ways to Spark a Commons Revolution
by Jay Walljasperposted Oct 21, 2010
- What you can do, alone and with others, to share life.
People We Love :: Nadia Janjua
by Tiffany Ranposted Sep 29, 2010
- Combining Islam and the environment
Corporations Ain’t People: A Musical Protest
posted Sep 14, 2010
- Video: GLEE-inspired activism for a democracy run by human beings, not corporations.
Resilient Ideas: Sunshine On The Menu
by Ari LeVeauxposted Sep 09, 2010
- Come for the food, stay for the art at New York City's first solar-powered restaurant.