Art & Activism
Creative ways to get your voice heard.
Our House, In the Middle of the Bank
posted Mar 13, 2012
- Video: What can you do when the bank takes away your house? Move into theirs.
Occupy Sends In the Clowns
posted Mar 06, 2012
- Meet the + Brigades, an Occupy effort to bring more innovation to the art of nonviolent protest.
A People’s History of Robin Hood
by Paul Buhleposted Feb 15, 2012
- For hundreds of years, he’s fought tax injustice, tyranny, and the seizure of the commons. Why we still need him today.
The Revolution is Love
posted Feb 14, 2012
- What’s love got to do with the Occupy movement?
Curriculum & Resources: No History is Illegal
posted Jan 30, 2012
- On February 1, 2012 Teacher Activist Groups launched a month of solidarity teach-ins in support of Tucson's Mexican American Studies (MAS) program. On the No History is Illegal website they offer a guide that includes sample lesson plans from the MAS curriculum as well as creative ideas and resources for exploring this issue with students.
YES! Recommends: Americans Who Tell The Truth
posted Dec 21, 2011
- Americans Who Tell the Truth spotlights 170 portraits of truth tellers—people who fought for all people's rights with courage and determination—to teach students of all ages not only about their heritage, but also to stand up for what they believe in.
Lily Yeh: Beauty in Broken Places
by Natalie Pompilioposted Dec 20, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Healing war-torn, broken, and economically devastated communities through art.
Re-Occupy: A Movement Seeks a Sanctuary
by Nathan Schneiderposted Dec 19, 2011
- On occupying Trinity Church—and the Occupy movement's relationship with established institutions.
Occupy Wall Street to World: This Is So Not Over!
by Olivia Rosaneposted Nov 18, 2011
- Two days after being evicted from Zuccotti Park, Occupy Wall Street’s flagship occupation marked its two-month anniversary with a massive celebration of resilience.
Creativity Blossoms in the Great Migration
by Lily Yehposted Nov 18, 2011
- On the industrial outskirts of Beijing, the transient children of the world’s largest migration taught artist Lily Yeh about finding healing and rootedness in creative power.
Painting the Town Prosperous
by James Trimarcoposted Nov 16, 2011
- Urban artists revive our neighborhoods and show us how to share our gifts.
Why We’re Not Afraid
by Velcrow Ripperposted Nov 15, 2011
- Video: “Our communities need us—we are all leaders.” A message for the powers that were.
Ten Ways the Occupy Movement Changes Everything
by Sarah van Gelder, David Korten, Steve Piersantiposted Nov 10, 2011
- Many question whether this movement can really make a difference. The truth is that it is already changing everything. Here’s how.
An All-Ages Music Manifesto
by Jaimee Garbacikposted Nov 04, 2011
- Book Review: How all-ages music venues keep the arts alive, build community, and give young people experience in organizing.
Posters to Occupy Everywhere
posted Nov 03, 2011
- Graphic designers put their stamp on the messages of the 99%.