When Density Meets Community
by Richard ConlinApr 07, 2011
- In Seattle, cutting carbon while increasing quality of life.
How to Design a Neighborhood for Happiness
by Jay WalljasperApr 04, 2011
- The way we design our communities plays a huge role in how we experience our lives.
What Makes Us Secure?
by Sarah ByrnesMar 21, 2011
- It's not about deadbolts and surveillance cameras—it's about having people you can turn to for help.
The Coming Global Food Fight
by John Cavanagh, Robin BroadMar 15, 2011
- As aggression mounts with the rise of food prices worldwide, small-scale farms rooted in local markets could avert international disaster—and lead the way to "food democracy."
In the Built Environment, the Tyranny of the Big, the Beauty of the Small
by Jason F. McLennanMar 11, 2011
- Green building leader Jason McLennan on ways to keep our buildings and cities at a healthy, human scale.
People We Love: Inez Killingsworth
by Alyssa B. JohnsonMar 11, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.
An Oasis in a Food Desert
Mar 09, 2011
- Video: In West Oakland, a community cooperative is providing an alternative to fast food and packaged snacks.
Dealing With U.S. Deficit: Outdoor Playtime For Kids
by Alyssa B. JohnsonMar 08, 2011
- New Yorkers throw the "Ultimate Block Party" to reclaim play.
In it Together: Organizing a Common Security Club
by Sarah ByrnesFeb 24, 2011
- How to overcome the obstacles and cultivate a caring, supportive community group in the face of tough economic times.
People, Power, and Public Spaces
by Jay WalljasperFeb 22, 2011
- What the privatization of public spaces has to do with our likelihood of taking to the streets.
“Localization is the Economics of Happiness”
by Brooke JarvisFeb 16, 2011
- We know what makes us happy—but too often our economic decisions stand in the way. Helena Norberg-Hodge, director of the Economics of Happiness, on how to change all that.
Lentils and Justice for All
by Christa HillstromFeb 14, 2011
- It all begins with food: How to restore the health and wealth of inner-city communities.
Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. KannerFeb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
5 Ways to Help Your Community Go Local
by Jeff MilchenFeb 03, 2011
- Buy Independent and Buy Local campaigns have a big effect, according to a new survey of independent businesses. Here's how you can reap the benefits for your local economy.
How to Be a Car-Free Family
by Angela and Dorea Vierling-ClaassenFeb 02, 2011
- Tired of paying car insurance, sitting in traffic jams, and guzzling too much gas? Advice for finally moving beyond the car.