5 Questions to Awaken Your Functional Family
by John McKnight and Peter BlockDec 22, 2010
- The path to restoring function to the family in a citizen society, not a consumer society, is quite simple. It begins with five questions.
Portland, Maine: Swapping Ditch-Digging for Legal Services
Dec 20, 2010
- Video: David Brancaccio spends some time at Hour Exchange Portland.
All That We Share
by Jay WalljasperDec 20, 2010
- Welcome to a new kind of movement—one that reshapes how we think about ownership and cooperation.
Rewriting Education for the Real World
Dec 19, 2010
- Video: The Environmental Charter High School is making an impact on students, the community, and the planet.
Bellingham, Washington: Good Jobs, Locally Grown
Dec 09, 2010
- Video: How this close-knit community is keeping jobs close to home.
Finding Rootedness in the Age of Vulnerability
by John Cavanagh, Robin BroadDec 06, 2010
- In an increasingly vulnerable world, we’re searching for rooted communities—and what we can learn from them.
Freer, Messier, Happier
by Jeremy Adam SmithDec 02, 2010
- These days, moms, dads, kids, grandmas—even neighbors—are sharing the work of family.
The Child We Never Had
by Wendy CallDec 02, 2010
- Co-parenting lets friends and community share the load and rewards of raising children.
Relearning the Skills of Community
by Sarah ByrnesDec 01, 2010
- How members of Common Security Clubs help each other relearn how to live in community.
Cycle City, USA
by Jay WalljasperNov 29, 2010
- How Portland plans to become the first world-class bike city in America.
When Crop Mobs Take Over
by Tina ChadwickNov 24, 2010
- In Atlanta, city slickers have found a way to give back to the farms that feed them.
Building Community: An Economic Approach
by David Korten with David BrancaccioNov 17, 2010
- David Korten: What economic transformation has to do with building stronger, happier communities.
Humanity, in Photos
Nov 15, 2010
- Photo Essay: A celebration of friendship, family, love, and laughter.
Can Small Group Organizing Save the Country?
by Sarah ByrnesNov 05, 2010
- Without the support of others, we get drained, we burn out, we sit out elections, or we vote our fears. With it, we can make real change.
Becoming an Empathic Civilization
Nov 04, 2010
- Video: Economist Jeremy Rifkin believes we can do it, and now he’s got cartoons to show why.