An Oasis in a Food Desert
Mar 09, 2011
- Video: In West Oakland, a community cooperative is providing an alternative to fast food and packaged snacks.
Dealing With U.S. Deficit: Outdoor Playtime For Kids
by Alyssa B. JohnsonMar 08, 2011
- New Yorkers throw the "Ultimate Block Party" to reclaim play.
In it Together: Organizing a Common Security Club
by Sarah ByrnesFeb 24, 2011
- How to overcome the obstacles and cultivate a caring, supportive community group in the face of tough economic times.
People, Power, and Public Spaces
by Jay WalljasperFeb 22, 2011
- What the privatization of public spaces has to do with our likelihood of taking to the streets.
“Localization is the Economics of Happiness”
by Brooke JarvisFeb 16, 2011
- We know what makes us happy—but too often our economic decisions stand in the way. Helena Norberg-Hodge, director of the Economics of Happiness, on how to change all that.
Lentils and Justice for All
by Christa HillstromFeb 14, 2011
- It all begins with food: How to restore the health and wealth of inner-city communities.
Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. KannerFeb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
5 Ways to Help Your Community Go Local
by Jeff MilchenFeb 03, 2011
- Buy Independent and Buy Local campaigns have a big effect, according to a new survey of independent businesses. Here's how you can reap the benefits for your local economy.
How to Be a Car-Free Family
by Angela and Dorea Vierling-ClaassenFeb 02, 2011
- Tired of paying car insurance, sitting in traffic jams, and guzzling too much gas? Advice for finally moving beyond the car.
Inez Killingsworth: Fighting Foreclosures
Feb 01, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.
One of Many Detroits
by AnonymousJan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
Rocky Times Ahead: Are You Ready?
by Sarah Byrnes, Chuck CollinsJan 20, 2011
- This isn't a future you can, or should, face alone. How to make sure you don't have to.
Microcredit: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
by David KortenJan 19, 2011
- Unraveling the confusion behind microcredit: how some models help alleviate poverty, while others exploit the poor to make the rich richer.
Food for a Rooted Future
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghJan 18, 2011
- In the Philippines, a new kind of conventional wisdom about food: chemical free, community strong.
A Car-Free Street in Queens
Jan 14, 2011
- Parents, children, painters, and teens now have a community play space in their Jackson Heights neighborhood.