Aug 01, 2011
- VERA Project took on Seattle's youth music wasteland to create lasting opportunities for young artists.
What the Outside Can Do for the Inside
by Stuart Glascock, Paige Grant, Chris HannJul 29, 2011
- Family, community, and the world of ideas help prisoners cope and prepare for life after incarceration. Eight outreach programs that make a difference.
The American Dream, Reloaded
Jul 20, 2011
- It's happening: The movement to rebuild the dream means owning our stories about how it went wrong—and finding our own ways to make it right.
Detroit: A New American Frontier
by Aaron M. RennJul 20, 2011
- For those seeking out an alternative vision of urban success, with new and innovative ideas about what the city of tomorrow should be, Detroit may offer the ultimate arena.
“God is What Happens When Humanity is Connected”
Jul 19, 2011
- Jim Gilliam: Why the Internet is my religion.
To Save Our Cities, Put Children First
by Jason F. McLennanJul 13, 2011
- What’s the universal design principle that can make our cities great? Kid-friendliness, says architect Jason McLennan.
Righting Wrongs the Maori Way
by Allan MacRae, Howard ZehrJul 08, 2011
- Instead of prison, New Zealand chooses restorative justice and community problem-solving.
White Roofs Project Helps NYC Beat The Heat
by Beth BuczynskiJul 06, 2011
- New York activists are on a mission to paint the Big Apple (and then the rest of the country) white to reduce energy waste.
School of Second Chances
by Carol EstesJul 01, 2011
- Inmates who get an education are less likely to reoffend when they're released. So why are prison education programs getting cut?
Rehabilitation, Not Punishment: A Better Solution to Crime
Jun 29, 2011
- Video: Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine, discusses the innovative approach to crime used in Hawaii’s only women’s prison.
A Simple Idea to Transform the Life of Our Cities
by Jay WalljasperJun 27, 2011
- Even a short stretch of car-free pavement empowers pedestrians to realize the road belongs to them, too
Recipes for Recovery
by James TracyJun 24, 2011
- Ex-cons show each other the way out at San Francisco's Delancey Street.
Building a Resilient Congregation
by Sarah ByrnesJun 24, 2011
- Religious congregations are embracing a new role: economic support groups.
Life in a Local Living Economy
Jun 17, 2011
- Video: How Bellingham, Washington keeps it local.
Planting Seeds of Hope: How Sustainable Activism Transformed Detroit
by Grace Lee Boggs, Scott KurashigeJun 16, 2011
- After the death throes of urban decay, what the Motor City can teach us about vision, community, and the power of movements.