Jen Chau Forms Swirl, Unites Communities
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- The daughter of a white Jewish mother and a Chinese father, Jen Chau started a meet-up group called Swirl, for multiracial people who wanted to form their own networks.
Generation Mixed: Breaking the Race Barrier
by Adrienne Maree BrownMar 04, 2010
- How the under-35 set is breaking the race barrier.
Artist Explores the "Hapa" Experience
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Kip Fulbeck created the book he always wanted as a kid: The Hapa Project, a series of photos and essays documenting the part-Asian experience.
Intentional Integration in Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelMar 04, 2010
- Pennsauken, pop. 36,800, established a Stable Integration Board to oversee real-estate transactions and other efforts, and a multicultural community has flourished.
Blended Nation: Photos That Teach About the Complexities of Race
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- Mark Tauber's Blended Nation is a book that chronicles the struggle for identity faced by mixed-race individuals.
El Otro Lado: Immigrant Stories Become Public Art
by Judy Herzl, Aaron SternFeb 26, 2010
- How residents of Santa Fe are breaking down barriers and growing closer as a community.
Homegrown Aid in Haiti
by Beverly BellFeb 25, 2010
- Many displaced Haitians are turning to neighbors, family, and peasant organizations in the countryside for help.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca SolnitFeb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Help Without Humiliation
by Beverly BellFeb 15, 2010
- Haitian community groups are organizing to bring food to the hungry in ways that don't reinforce dependence.
Economic Trouble? Join the Club
by Andrée Collier ZaleskaFeb 12, 2010
- How can we support each other through hard times? An update from Common Security Clubs in Portland, Boston, and Fort Lauderdale.
Breakthrough Communities: Lessons from Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelFeb 12, 2010
- M. Paloma Pavel, founder of Breakthrough Communities and president of Earth House Center, shares tips for intentional integration in your community.
Building Cultures of Peace
by Riane EislerFeb 11, 2010
- To transition from a system of domination to one of partnership, we need to take a hard look at the way we think about gender.
The Work that Reconnects
by Pamela O'Malley ChangFeb 09, 2010
- As residents plan Transition Albany, they're turning to Joanna Macy for guidance in building resilient communities.
Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko MatanovicDec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.