El Otro Lado: Immigrant Stories Become Public Art
by Judy Herzl, Aaron SternFeb 26, 2010
- How residents of Santa Fe are breaking down barriers and growing closer as a community.
Homegrown Aid in Haiti
by Beverly BellFeb 25, 2010
- Many displaced Haitians are turning to neighbors, family, and peasant organizations in the countryside for help.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca SolnitFeb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Help Without Humiliation
by Beverly BellFeb 15, 2010
- Haitian community groups are organizing to bring food to the hungry in ways that don't reinforce dependence.
Economic Trouble? Join the Club
by Andrée Collier ZaleskaFeb 12, 2010
- How can we support each other through hard times? An update from Common Security Clubs in Portland, Boston, and Fort Lauderdale.
Breakthrough Communities: Lessons from Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelFeb 12, 2010
- M. Paloma Pavel, founder of Breakthrough Communities and president of Earth House Center, shares tips for intentional integration in your community.
Building Cultures of Peace
by Riane EislerFeb 11, 2010
- To transition from a system of domination to one of partnership, we need to take a hard look at the way we think about gender.
The Work that Reconnects
by Pamela O'Malley ChangFeb 09, 2010
- As residents plan Transition Albany, they're turning to Joanna Macy for guidance in building resilient communities.
Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko MatanovicDec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.
Growing Home—Urban Agriculture in Chicago
Dec 29, 2009
- Orrin Williams of Growing Home explains urban agriculture's crucial role in rebuilding our cities and communities—from increasing job security and food access to decreasing the environmental impact of farming.
Have Yourself a Commons Holiday
by Jay WalljasperDec 22, 2009
- The holidays are the one time of the year when American domesticity expands beyond the narrow circle of the nuclear family of mom, dad, and the kids—when we take a step in the direction of commoning.
Making the Most of Your Charitable Donations
by Jeff RaderstrongDec 17, 2009
- Focus, work, and structure: Jeff Raderstrong from Change Charity offers three steps that can help you figure out who to give to this year.
How to Talk to Your Friends About Copenhagen
by Madeline OstranderDec 10, 2009
- Talking about climate change may be one of the most revolutionary things you can do. But how do you strike up your own Copenhagen conversations—and what do you say once you do?
Towns Rush to Make Low-Carbon Transition
by Tara LohanDec 01, 2009
- More and more neighborhoods are making the transition to a climate-friendly community. Has yours?