Generation Mixed: Breaking the Race Barrier
by Adrienne Maree BrownMar 04, 2010
- How the under-35 set is breaking the race barrier.
Artist Explores the "Hapa" Experience
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Kip Fulbeck created the book he always wanted as a kid: The Hapa Project, a series of photos and essays documenting the part-Asian experience.
Intentional Integration in Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelMar 04, 2010
- Pennsauken, pop. 36,800, established a Stable Integration Board to oversee real-estate transactions and other efforts, and a multicultural community has flourished.
Blended Nation: Photos That Teach About the Complexities of Race
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- Mark Tauber's Blended Nation is a book that chronicles the struggle for identity faced by mixed-race individuals.
El Otro Lado: Immigrant Stories Become Public Art
by Judy Herzl, Aaron SternFeb 26, 2010
- How residents of Santa Fe are breaking down barriers and growing closer as a community.
Homegrown Aid in Haiti
by Beverly BellFeb 25, 2010
- Many displaced Haitians are turning to neighbors, family, and peasant organizations in the countryside for help.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca SolnitFeb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Help Without Humiliation
by Beverly BellFeb 15, 2010
- Haitian community groups are organizing to bring food to the hungry in ways that don't reinforce dependence.
Economic Trouble? Join the Club
by Andrée Collier ZaleskaFeb 12, 2010
- How can we support each other through hard times? An update from Common Security Clubs in Portland, Boston, and Fort Lauderdale.
Breakthrough Communities: Lessons from Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelFeb 12, 2010
- M. Paloma Pavel, founder of Breakthrough Communities and president of Earth House Center, shares tips for intentional integration in your community.
Building Cultures of Peace
by Riane EislerFeb 11, 2010
- To transition from a system of domination to one of partnership, we need to take a hard look at the way we think about gender.
The Work that Reconnects
by Pamela O'Malley ChangFeb 09, 2010
- As residents plan Transition Albany, they're turning to Joanna Macy for guidance in building resilient communities.
Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko MatanovicDec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.
Growing Home—Urban Agriculture in Chicago
Dec 29, 2009
- Orrin Williams of Growing Home explains urban agriculture's crucial role in rebuilding our cities and communities—from increasing job security and food access to decreasing the environmental impact of farming.