Strengthening our connections.
At Oakland’s Abandoned Army Base, a Jobs Plan Brings Hope to Locals
by Mark Andrew Boyerposted Oct 22, 2012
- A new $1 billion plan to turn a vacant base into a shipping and logistics center will create thousands of jobs for the Oakland residents who need them most.
6 Ways Communities Put Health First
by Stuart Glascockposted Oct 11, 2012
- From play space for kids to AIDS activism: the fight against disease goes grassroots.
Detroit’s Good Food Cure
by Larry Gabrielposted Sep 06, 2012
- What happens when the Motor City transforms itself into the capital of grow-your-own food?
In Yoga, Better Breathing Through ... Beatboxing?
by Lauren Hardyposted Aug 13, 2012
- Video: Can the offbeat fusion of acoustic guitar and electronic loops help you breathe your way to better movement?
Happiness Comes From Respect, Not Riches
by Stacey Kennellyposted Aug 03, 2012
- A series of studies shows that wealth doesn’t make us happier—but the respect of others does.
posted Aug 01, 2012
- How one photographer captured the continent from the sky—with a fan strapped to his back.
Carbon Neutrality: It’s Technically Possible
by Richard Conlinposted Jul 25, 2012
- The technology to achieve carbon neutrality exists, or could in the near future. What has to happen to put those capabilities in play?
Life Is Easier With Friends Next Door
by Sven Eberleinposted Jul 16, 2012
- Feeling a need for community? Cohousing can provide affordable space and neighbors to share it with.
How I Learned to Love My Hometown
by Mindy Fullilove, Molly Rose Kaufmanposted Jul 09, 2012
- A sense of history and community tugged at the heart of Mindy Fullilove and pulled her back to the Jersey home she’d forsaken.
In Praise of Vacant Lots
by Jay Walljasperposted Jul 05, 2012
- Jay Walljasper on why “profitable economic function” is sometimes less valuable than empty space.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
How I Found Bliss in a Creaky Old Rental
by Corbyn Hightowerposted Jun 26, 2012
- Corbyn Hightower and her family moved from affluence to poverty—and into a "funky, junky" house that's been the happiest move of their lives.
Barrio Defense: How Arizona’s Immigrants are Standing Up to SB 1070
by B. Loeweposted Jun 21, 2012
- Beyond the Supreme Court: For immigrant communities in Arizona and beyond, the struggle against draconian laws begins at home.
10 Ways To Love Where You Live
by Ross Chapinposted Jun 14, 2012
- How to build community here and now—because neighborhoods are more than houses in proximity.
From Gangs to Gardens: How Community Agriculture Transformed Quesada Avenue
by Katherine Gustafsonposted May 30, 2012
- Ten years ago, the residents of the crime-ridden neighborhood started planting gardens—and everything changed.