In Praise of Vacant Lots
by Jay WalljasperJul 05, 2012
- Jay Walljasper on why “profitable economic function” is sometimes less valuable than empty space.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon HayesJun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
How I Found Bliss in a Creaky Old Rental
by Corbyn HightowerJun 26, 2012
- Corbyn Hightower and her family moved from affluence to poverty—and into a "funky, junky" house that's been the happiest move of their lives.
Barrio Defense: How Arizona’s Immigrants are Standing Up to SB 1070
by B. LoeweJun 21, 2012
- Beyond the Supreme Court: For immigrant communities in Arizona and beyond, the struggle against draconian laws begins at home.
10 Ways To Love Where You Live
by Ross ChapinJun 14, 2012
- How to build community here and now—because neighborhoods are more than houses in proximity.
From Gangs to Gardens: How Community Agriculture Transformed Quesada Avenue
by Katherine GustafsonMay 30, 2012
- Ten years ago, the residents of the crime-ridden neighborhood started planting gardens—and everything changed.
Lessons for Building Lively Local Economies
by Grace BoggsMay 29, 2012
- Grace Boggs on what she learned at the 2012 BALLE conference.
We’ve Got Some Big Houses—That We Could Share
by Doug PibelMay 24, 2012
- Just 60 years ago, the average American had 291 square feet of living space. Now it’s close to 1,000 square feet. Have we changed our needs that much? Or just our wants?
Real Homes: Small, Frugal, and Green
by Doug PibelMay 23, 2012
- With 5 million houses in foreclosure, we are rediscovering that living sustainably includes living affordably.
6 Ideas for Sensible Homes
by Heidi BruceMay 09, 2012
- Small, supportive, affordable, recycled—and you can build your own.
Rising Sea Levels: The View from a Canoe
by Sena ChristianMay 03, 2012
- Decades ago, the legendary journey of the open-ocean canoe Hokule‘a revealed secrets of Hawai‘i’s past and sparked pride in native culture. Now, a voyage around the world offers a new generation lessons about Earth’s uncertain future.
A Patchwork Guide to the (Disappearing) Neighborhood
by Kathryn ClarkApr 24, 2012
- How have foreclosures transformed the layouts of Detroit, Las Vegas, and other cities? Artist Kathryn Clark’s mapped it—in quilts.
Free Your (Eco)Mind
by Frances Moore LappeApr 20, 2012
- This Earth Day, think like an ecosystem—and you just might save the world.
8 Ways to De-Corporatize Your Money
Apr 11, 2012
- Debit or credit? Keep your dollars out of corporate clutches.
A Dakota Way of Life
by Kris KolbApr 06, 2012
- Diane Wilson’s new book asks, how do you raise beloved children and break the cycle of self-destruction in native communities?