Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
North Carolina’s Fight for Marriage Equality Continues
by Sue Sturgisposted May 15, 2012
- In the wake of North Carolina’s new amendment banning same-sex marriage, couples across the state are protesting by requesting marriage licenses.
Same-Sex Marriage Brings Healing to Me—and My Tribe
by Madeline Ostranderposted May 10, 2012
- Heather Purser set out to win gay marriage rights within the Suquamish Tribe and found herself on a personal journey toward self-acceptance.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella Jenkinsposted May 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Ideas for Sensible Homes
by Heidi Bruceposted May 09, 2012
- Small, supportive, affordable, recycled—and you can build your own.
Is Owning or Renting Better For You?
by Dean Bakerposted May 02, 2012
- How to know when it's smart to rent.
Rabbi Steven Greenberg: Advocate for Acceptance
by Shannan Stollposted May 01, 2012
- Bringing personal warmth and serious scholarship to advocacy for marriage equality in Orthodox Judaism.
A Patchwork Guide to the (Disappearing) Neighborhood
by Kathryn Clarkposted Apr 24, 2012
- How have foreclosures transformed the layouts of Detroit, Las Vegas, and other cities? Artist Kathryn Clark’s mapped it—in quilts.
Radical Homemaking … In the South of France?
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 18, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Do radical homemaking and foreign travel mix?
A Dakota Way of Life
by Kris Kolbposted Apr 06, 2012
- Diane Wilson’s new book asks, how do you raise beloved children and break the cycle of self-destruction in native communities?
Reclaim, Recycle, and Reimagine Your House
posted Apr 02, 2012
- Just because a 2x4 isn't straight doesn't mean it can't be used. Meet a contractor who would rather raid the dump than the lumber aisle.
Occupy’s Front Line Moves to the Front Lawn
by Laura Gottesdienerposted Mar 19, 2012
- Closing down banks and holding up families, the fight against unjust foreclosures takes off.
Smart Like You
posted Mar 14, 2012
- Comedian Dhaya Lakshminarayanan learns the value of a good education, the importance of Seinfeld, and most of all, how to be a good teacher.
When It Comes to Kids, Is Climate a Four-Letter Word?
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 27, 2012
- When and how should we talk to kids about the dangers of climate change? One mother's take.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Feb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
The Benefits of Gratitude
by Ocean Robbinsposted Feb 06, 2012
- There’s an old saying that if you’ve forgotten the language of gratitude, you’ll never be on speaking terms with happiness. It turns out this isn’t just a fluffy idea.