Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
Radical Homemaking: It’s Not a Competition
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 29, 2011
- When it comes to ecological living, there's always someone who's doing it better. So what?
Saying Goodbye: What Do We Teach Kids about Death?
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 31, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: When we shelter ourselves and our kids from the realities of death, what else might we be sacrificing?
“Our Family Isn't So Different”
posted Mar 22, 2011
- Video: The 19-year-old son of two women testifies eloquently against Iowa's effort to ban same-sex marriage.
The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy
by Lisa Dodsonposted Mar 18, 2011
- All around you are everyday heroes who refuse to be complicit in the economic mistreatment of other people.
In the Built Environment, the Tyranny of the Big, the Beauty of the Small
by Jason McLennanposted Mar 11, 2011
- Green building leader Jason McLennan on ways to keep our buildings and cities at a healthy, human scale.
Dealing With U.S. Deficit: Outdoor Playtime For Kids
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Mar 08, 2011
- New Yorkers throw the "Ultimate Block Party" to reclaim play.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
The Emotional Lives of Animals
by Marc Bekoffposted Mar 02, 2011
- Grief, friendship, gratitude, wonder, and other things we animals experience.
YES! But How? Grow a Curtain
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Mar 01, 2011
- My house gets too hot in the summer. How can I cool it down without using the A/C?
Finding Love: Is it Different for Radical Homemakers?
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 11, 2011
- Shannon Hayes reflects on Valentine's Day.
Inez Killingsworth: Fighting Foreclosures
posted Feb 01, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.
Raising Babies in Prison
by Abby Quillenposted Jan 14, 2011
- Supporting the bond between inmates and their newborns gives these families a better start.
How To Keep Love Going Strong
by John M. and Julie Gottmanposted Jan 03, 2011
- Poster: 7 principles on the road to happily ever after.
Confessions of a Local Supremacist
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 31, 2010
- What I learned about community when I finally welcomed newcomers into mine.
The Good Life? It’s Close to Home
by John McKnight and Peter Blockposted Dec 22, 2010
- Rebuilding families and neighborhoods around the gifts each of us offers.