Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
Renouncing, Reclaiming, Rebuilding: The 3 Steps of Radical Homemaking
by Shannon Hayesposted May 27, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on the process of replacing the “givens” of mainstream life with more resilient ways of living.
The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer
by Marietta Jaeger-Lane, as told to Lynsi Burtonposted May 27, 2011
- How a grieving mother put compassion before vengeance, and found closure along the way.
Obama’s Sister: What Our Mother Taught Us
by Fran Kortenposted May 20, 2011
- Maya Soetoro-Ng reflects on her childhood with brother Barack, her own family and children, and how to keep everyone connected.
The Locked Gate: Standing Up for My Brother, Troy Davis, on Death Row
by Martina Davis-Correia, as told to Jen Marloweposted May 10, 2011
- My brother and I don't always agree, but I defend his innocence, and I'll never walk out on him again.
Voices of Compassion
posted May 01, 2011
- Personal stories of life beyond bars.
Radical Homemaking: It’s Not a Competition
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 29, 2011
- When it comes to ecological living, there's always someone who's doing it better. So what?
Saying Goodbye: What Do We Teach Kids about Death?
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 31, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: When we shelter ourselves and our kids from the realities of death, what else might we be sacrificing?
“Our Family Isn't So Different”
posted Mar 22, 2011
- Video: The 19-year-old son of two women testifies eloquently against Iowa's effort to ban same-sex marriage.
The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy
by Lisa Dodsonposted Mar 18, 2011
- All around you are everyday heroes who refuse to be complicit in the economic mistreatment of other people.
In the Built Environment, the Tyranny of the Big, the Beauty of the Small
by Jason McLennanposted Mar 11, 2011
- Green building leader Jason McLennan on ways to keep our buildings and cities at a healthy, human scale.
Dealing With U.S. Deficit: Outdoor Playtime For Kids
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Mar 08, 2011
- New Yorkers throw the "Ultimate Block Party" to reclaim play.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
The Emotional Lives of Animals
by Marc Bekoffposted Mar 02, 2011
- Grief, friendship, gratitude, wonder, and other things we animals experience.
YES! But How? Grow a Curtain
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Mar 01, 2011
- My house gets too hot in the summer. How can I cool it down without using the A/C?
Finding Love: Is it Different for Radical Homemakers?
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 11, 2011
- Shannon Hayes reflects on Valentine's Day.