Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
Photo Essay: Building a Handmade Cob House
by YES! online staffposted Aug 13, 2010
- Self-sufficiency does not happen in a day, a week, or even a year. It takes time and effort.
My Tiny, Free House
by Michael Janzenposted Aug 10, 2010
- Michael Janzen had a big house and a big mortgage. Then the financial crisis hit, and he wondered just how small, and how cheap, a house could be.
Leaving It Up To Them
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 28, 2010
- What happens when children raised in radical homes choose the straight and narrow?
Time for a Tech Sabbath?
by Erika Kosinaposted Jul 12, 2010
- Americans are finding that a day of rest is still a good idea.
People Without Homes, Homes Without People
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jun 24, 2010
- In New York City, low-income people fighting for affordable housing are taking on the developers of vacant condo projects.
The Case for Sustainable Meat
by Shannon Hayesposted May 12, 2010
- Can meat have a place in the life of a “radical homemaker” trying to live sustainably? Farmer Shannon Hayes believes it can.
The Kid Question
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 14, 2010
- How one woman decided whether reproduction had a place in her quest for a sustainable life.
The Birthday Balloon
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 11, 2010
- Somewhere in our consumer culture, we have confused material items with expressions of love.
Building Cultures of Peace
by Riane Eislerposted Feb 11, 2010
- To transition from a system of domination to one of partnership, we need to take a hard look at the way we think about gender.
Meeting Faith: An Inward Odyssey
by Faith Adieleposted Feb 11, 2010
- American Girls: An excerpt from Faith Adiele's memoir.
Meet the Radical Homemakers
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 01, 2010
- How families are achieving ecological, social, and economic transformation... starting under their own roofs.
The Righteous Small House: Challenging House Size and the Irresponsible American Dream
by Jason McLennanposted Jan 29, 2010
- An architect asks, at what point does size cancel out sustainability?
The Food of a Younger Land
by Laura Kaliebeposted Dec 15, 2009
- Author Mark Kurlansky unearths a Depression-era project to document the country’s food traditions.
Human Rights in the Age of Obama
by Tanya Dawkinsposted Dec 15, 2009
- Interview with Ajamu Baraka: Protecting human rights during a recession means rethinking the role of government, taking direct action, and creating an equitable society.
YES! But How? :: Is There a Safe Plastic?
by Heather Purserposted Dec 15, 2009
- Is there any plastic container that’s safe for food and drink? I have a baby, and most products for infants and children are plastic.