Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
Notes from the Frontlines of Bringing Up Girls
by Tomas Monizposted Oct 03, 2012
- What I really want to tell my daughters about autonomy and sex, in the midst of a war on women.
What Bullies Can Teach Our Kids—And Us
by Shannon Hayesposted Sep 26, 2012
- Shannon Hayes on having a child face a bully and come away stronger and more self-aware.
Standing with Troy Davis in His Final Days
by Jen Marloweposted Sep 21, 2012
- A year ago today, the state of Georgia executed a man whose guilt was widely contested. Jen Marlowe, friend and journalist, on what it was like to stand with the Davis family on the last day.
A Graceful Exit: Taking Charge at the End of Life
by Claudia Roweposted Sep 19, 2012
- How can we break the silence about what happens when we’re dying?
A Mothers’ Movement for Future Generations
by Heidi Hutnerposted Sep 18, 2012
- Cancer survivor Heidi Hutner worried about how to raise a baby girl in an increasingly toxic world. Why she, and others, are convening the Women’s Congress for Future Generations to make the earth safe again for our children.
Visual Learning: Gauze for Concern
posted Sep 17, 2012
- This Visual Learning activity will get students thinking about the foreclosure crisis in this country and what it might feel like to lose your home.
3 Essential School Supplies—That Aren’t on Your List
by Christine Carterposted Sep 12, 2012
- When kids have friends, they’re more likely to grow into happy adults. How to help your children develop the tools they need most.
Radical Homemaking ... With Houseguests?
by Shannon Hayesposted Sep 07, 2012
- Our home is an ecosystem: No matter how perfect we’d like to make it, as long as we live and create there it will never be sterile, still, and clean.
No Papers, No Fear: Risking Deportation at the DNC
by Molly Knefelposted Sep 06, 2012
- Why did ten undocumented immigrants choose to get arrested in Charlotte, even when they knew they could face deportation?
A Bill of Rights—for Homeowners
by Seth Sandronskyposted Aug 29, 2012
- California’s new law gives increased protection to people threatened with foreclosure. Will other states follow?
What We Learned From Swimming With Leeches
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 25, 2012
- The appearance of “bloodsucking parasites” in one farm family’s pond got them thinking: How could we be so comfortable with our natural world, yet paranoid about harmless—and helpful—creatures in it?
Minnesota’s Ground Zero for Unjust Evictions
posted Jul 18, 2012
- A glitch in PNC Bank’s online payment system meant the Cruz family’s home fell into foreclosure, putting it at the center of a committed community stand-off.
Life Is Easier With Friends Next Door
by Sven Eberleinposted Jul 16, 2012
- Feeling a need for community? Cohousing can provide affordable space and neighbors to share it with.
The Audacity of Acting Out: What Our Kids Can Teach Us
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 10, 2012
- In a society where we are taught not to call out absurdity where we see it, how can we learn to speak up?
How I Learned to Love My Hometown
by Mindy Fullilove, Molly Rose Kaufmanposted Jul 09, 2012
- A sense of history and community tugged at the heart of Mindy Fullilove and pulled her back to the Jersey home she’d forsaken.