Families & Homes
Place, community, and the people we love.
10 Things Science Taught Us About Happiness in 2012
by Jason Marsh, Lauren Klein, Jeremy Adam Smithposted Jan 04, 2013
- Last year’s most surprising, provocative, and inspiring findings on the science of living a meaningful life.
Want to Find Holiday Joy? Start by Lowering Expectations
by Christine Carterposted Dec 26, 2012
- Video: Christine Carter offers three tips to avoid holiday stress and experience the joys of the season.
4 Reminders of Human Goodness After Sandy Hook
by Jeremy Adam Smithposted Dec 21, 2012
- Following the heartbreak in Newtown, many Americans find themselves wondering—are people just horrible? Jeremy Adam Smith on why compassion, forgiveness, and resilience are everywhere, even in tragedy.
5 Holiday Parlor Games to Make Your Gatherings More Fun
by Laura Beans, Fabien Tepperposted Dec 19, 2012
- Spoons, sardines, telephone charades, and other activities to put a boost in your get-togethers.
The Gift of Remembering Those We’ve Lost
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 17, 2012
- All of us lose loved ones over the course of our lives, and the pain of those losses is especially sharp during the holiday season. Passing on their memories to younger generations is a gift that truly lasts.
3 Lessons for Gracious Living in a Stuff-Filled Season
by Fran Kortenposted Dec 13, 2012
- Last year, YES! publisher Fran Korten shared her efforts to move more stuff out of her house than into it. With the season of “stuff” upon us again, here’s what she’s learned about unstuffing her life.
Washington Tribe Welcomes State’s First Same-Sex Weddings
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 12, 2012
- This weekend, the S’Klallam tribe made the historic Heronswood botanical gardens available free of charge to gay and lesbian couples who wanted to get married on the first day it was legal.
Connect With Your Family Across the Table—and the Political Divide
by Joan Bladesposted Nov 21, 2012
- Is it possible to gracefully navigate the potential minefield of political discussions at family gatherings? Suspending judgment, looking for common ground, and speaking from the heart can help. After all, these are people you love.
Is Time With Family Better Than Shopping?
posted Nov 21, 2012
- Video: This Black Friday, celebrate your favorite non-shopping activity with this invitation from The Story of Stuff Project.
Book Review: “A is for Activist” by Innosanto Nagara
by Corey Hillposted Nov 14, 2012
- From Activist to Zapatista, this “children’s book for the 99 percent” infuses the alphabet with the energy and consciousness of Occupy Wall Street.
Keeping the Farm Safe (and Sacred) as Hurricane Sandy Looms
by Shannon Hayesposted Oct 29, 2012
- The Hayes family gathers in prayer and gratitude for the ancient Celtic celebration of Samhain, which marks the beginning of winter and the new year. But this year’s beginning will be unlike any other.
As Parents Learn More About Health, Will Doctors Listen?
by Shannon Hayesposted Oct 18, 2012
- Many doctors and nurses refuse to respect the knowledge of parents about their kids’ health. Shannon Hayes explains why they might be missing a lot.
Breastfeeding Moms Boot Nestlé from Maternity Wards
by Elizabeth Ben-Ishaiposted Oct 04, 2012
- If breastfeeding is healthier for babies, why are hospitals pushing corporate infant formula? How a growing number of states and cities are banning marketing in the maternity ward.
Notes from the Frontlines of Bringing Up Girls
by Tomas Monizposted Oct 03, 2012
- What I really want to tell my daughters about autonomy and sex, in the midst of a war on women.
What Bullies Can Teach Our Kids—And Us
by Shannon Hayesposted Sep 26, 2012
- Shannon Hayes on having a child face a bully and come away stronger and more self-aware.