Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
12 Innovations From the '00s That Could Save Us
by Sarah van GelderJan 01, 2010
- With climate disruption, war, and a faltering economy, the '00s were tough. Still, seeds were sewn for a more green and egalitarian 2010s. And peoples movements offer the power to make real change happen.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko MatanovicDec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.
Growing Home—Urban Agriculture in Chicago
Dec 29, 2009
- Orrin Williams of Growing Home explains urban agriculture's crucial role in rebuilding our cities and communities—from increasing job security and food access to decreasing the environmental impact of farming.
Birds on Wires Making Music
Dec 23, 2009
- Listen to Jarbas Agnelli’s beautiful melody inspired by a photo of birds sitting on electrical wires, using the exact location of the birds to determine the melody's notes.
No Impact Man Movie Trailer
Dec 23, 2009
- No car, no washing machine, no toilet paper? Preview how Colin Beavan and family fared in their one-year commitment to have no impact on the environment.
Discovering the Beauty of Teenagers
by John HasynDec 23, 2009
- We tend to be afraid of those who are different from us. For John Hasyn, it was teenagers. Despite his feelings of intimidation, the Canadian-based photographer chose to work full-on with Inuit youth in Nunavut. What he discovered changed his perspective forever.
Have Yourself a Commons Holiday
by Jay WalljasperDec 22, 2009
- The holidays are the one time of the year when American domesticity expands beyond the narrow circle of the nuclear family of mom, dad, and the kids—when we take a step in the direction of commoning.
Making the Most of Your Charitable Donations
by Jeff RaderstrongDec 17, 2009
- Focus, work, and structure: Jeff Raderstrong from Change Charity offers three steps that can help you figure out who to give to this year.
Advent Conspiracy - Christmas Can Still Change the World
Dec 15, 2009
- Advent Conspiracy proposes that people buy less and give more--of their time and love.
God Begins to Smile
Dec 15, 2009
- Video: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, calling for a legally binding agreement on climate change, says the movement for climate justice in Copenhagen would cheer God up.
Why is Costa Rica Smiling?
by Lisa Gale GarriguesDec 15, 2009
- How a focus on peace is helping this Central American country top the Happy Planet Index.
The Food of a Younger Land
by Laura KaliebeDec 15, 2009
- Author Mark Kurlansky unearths a Depression-era project to document the country’s food traditions.
Human Rights in the Age of Obama
by Tanya DawkinsDec 15, 2009
- Interview with Ajamu Baraka: Protecting human rights during a recession means rethinking the role of government, taking direct action, and creating an equitable society.
How to Make Homemade Gift Bags
by Heather PurserDec 15, 2009
- Why not avoid paper gift-wrap and make your own gift bags?